ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#76102 12/06/00 11:52 AM
C
cinkerf Offline OP
Today's code question of the day touched on installing emergency lighting units. (Battery type). "Section 700.16 requires that the burning out of a light bulb cannot leave any area that requires emerg. illumination in total darkness". Did anyone ever have a job rejected for example if an emerg. lighting unit with two light heads was used, one head to light a hallway and the other aimed down a stairwell? Adhearing 100% to Section 700.16 seems impractical in the field. Does anyone out there have a practical method that might also satisfy the Code?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#76103 12/07/00 04:17 AM
It sounds like something that should seriously be taken into consideration in the planning stage. I can see the point. I would probably opt to use them in pairs (one at each end of the hallway or stairway level)or in combination with Exit lighting signs. If the lighting head that points down a hallway goes out there is still some illumination coming from the lighted exit sign. I am reading this because it says "total darkness" that sounds like if there is any light at all coming from a second source that it would be ok by code. Technically speaking if there are any reflective surfaces around to bounce some light back, one head would be giving light both ways to varying degrees. I can definitely see the point about the one head in the bathroom and would not allow that anymore. (Just my opinions) [Linked Image]

Bill

Bill
#76104 12/07/00 08:33 PM
C
cinkerf Offline OP
Thanks for your input Bill. I'm laying out an emerg. lighting job for an existing Recreation Center (Including a Gymnasium on the second floor). Your suggestions will be most helpful. (Frank) cinkerf

#76105 12/09/00 03:48 PM
Broom Pusher and
In the City of LA [under their jurisdiction] there is a lot of stringent code compliance issues regarding Emergency Lighting equipment, including the direction that the heads are aimed, along with the output lumens and total foot-candles spread in a given area. In these situations, such as where stairs are part of the Fire Rated Corridor [Excape, or Evacuation tunnel], it might be better to use Fluorescent strips with Back-Up Ballasts.
In the working space [office floor areas] on high rises, a combination of Fluorescent fixtures with Back-Up Ballasts are used in conjunction to the "Bug-Eye" spots. Exit lights are also Back-Up power supplied. There are 1/2 of the Fluorescent fixtures on Emergency Power System, the other half on a dedicated circuit. All these are Night Lights [unswitched]. Exit lights are supplied from both the Emergency Power System and a separate dedicated circuit from normal power, along with battery back-up. Bug-eyes are split up same as the Fluorescent fixtures [typical 2x2s or 2x4 T-Bar Fluorescent fixtures are used for the Night Lights/ E lights, being unswitched and including Back-Up Ballasts].

I'm telling you, a guy could really lose his shirt by not being familiar with all the Fire/Life/Safety [FLS] codes! I saw an alarm vendor go through 6 separate re-schedules for Inspection, only to remove the equipment they installed and install the compatable equipment for the existing system [Simplex], then go through another 6 different tests and re-schedules before finally passing!!

Beware of that possibility!! :-)

When a typical remodel project involves locations that use E-Lights, they need to be operating properly and able to be tested before building final. Fire inspector [or if the Electrical Inspector is involved also] will not sign the card until they are functioning correctly.
Bring this to the attention of whoever does the bids for your company, along with supervisors or directly to the Electrical Contractor, so it can be figured into the price of remodel / TIs, along with not being a last minute suprise.
The complexity will depend on the AHJ.

Hope this is in the direction you were looking for [Linked Image]

Scott. "S.E.T."

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#76106 12/09/00 04:09 PM
Most of the jobs I have done did not require really elaborate and critical Emergency Lighting schemes. Just basic stuff. I once did a Furniture store which had dozens of rooms in a maze like atmosphere that did not go from floor to ceiling. What a nightmare that was !! I asked the Fire Marshall for advice and he just said "start putting them in (lighted exit signs & "Bug Eyes") and I'll let you know when to stop"

Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard