ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 259 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#75916 03/20/07 10:14 AM
F
Simplex 4100 fire alarm control panel (intelligent). Fire sprinker system heads are going to be replaced in our court house building. The contractor will have to turn several valves off in order to do the work. Will that simply put the fire alarm control panel in trouble alarm? If that is the case I can just silence the trouble alarm until the work is completed. I "believe" the only way the system will go into fire alarm and notify the fire department is if the water flow switch senses water flow. I guess I could also bypass the designated water flow switches in the fire alarm control panel.

Frank

#75917 03/20/07 01:11 PM
Broom Pusher and
The Contractor should contact the Fire Department + the Monitoring Agency (Central Station) prior to each day's work.

The Alarm will be placed in "Test Mode" by the Monitoring Agency before the Contractor begins anything.

Typically, the PIV is closed before the Sprinkler Lines are drained. Be ready to hear the FACP's Alarm "Beep" endlessly while the PIV is closed (PIV tamper will be indicated by the FACP as soon as this occurs).

If the PIV is not closed during this work, the Gate Valve which feeds the Line where the new Sprinklers will be installed, will be closed.
The Gate Valves also have Tamper switches (OS&Y)

Afterwards, the Lines are drained, then work may begin to install the new Sprinklers.

The Non-Automatic (Mechanical) Flow-Detection Bell may ring while the system is drained, or it may not.

Nevertheless, the System will need to be placed in "Test Mode" by the Authorized Fire Control Personnel (the Contractor). They should know what the normal procedures are.

FYI: To make things easier on everyone, try to get the Telephone Number of the Monitoring Agency (Central Station), and all the necessary information they will want to know (Bldg. Info., contract / user info., numbers for the Telephone circuits used by the FACP, etc...)

Again, the Contractor should be able to explain what information - if any, you guys (as the Client) will need to dig out of the file cabinets! wink

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#75918 03/20/07 05:44 PM
J
The tampers on the gate valves should really cause a "Supervisory" on the FACP, if available. If not, it would be programmed as a "Trouble" They could just be acknowleged and silenced after the gate valves are closed. Then opening the sprinkler test drains shouldn't cause waterflow fire alarms. But the courtesy call to the fire department or other monitoring concern is always good practice. There may be a switch on a municipal tie module that will take you off-line with them and cause a system trouble. That, along with the phone call, might be a good option when acceptance testing is to begin.
Joe

#75919 03/21/07 12:02 AM
H
Frank,
You're wise to be careful with your fire panel. During any work on the sprinkler system, the flow switches (or in some buildings, pressure switches) will activate when water flow is sensed. Sometimes, the wrong valve is closed, so that when draining is begun, the flow switch for the riser alarms the fire panel, causing your local evacuation signals to be activated. Some Simplex panels have a simple method to put the system into a test or bypass mode, so that normal alarm functions do not happen. When the sprinkler zone is refilled, you would then also have a flow alarm, if you are not in the bypass mode. Most of the flow switches have built in pneumatic or diaphragm type timers to prevent normal small pressure changes from activating the alarm.

If you have specific questions about your panel, you may want to contact the Simplex technician who works on your panel, for further info. I have caused fire trucks to roll on several occasions!
Good luck,
Homer

#75920 03/21/07 02:15 AM
J
Also you need A contact person to let all of the people in the building, the system is on test . and if they see a fire call 911 and notify the contact person on the way out.

Link Copied to Clipboard