ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I
IanR Offline OP
I have a collegue who is doing a rewire on an old house (1928) The receptacles are all having new runs made to replace the old K&T with 12/2 romex. He wants to run a circuit from the new panel (a beautifully done 200amp center) into a juntion box in the ceiling above the den and then run individual runs out of the box to each outlet (4 total) in a radial fashion. I personally have never seen this, as I am used to the daisy chain method. I was wondering how you all felt about this? While I can't see anything inherently wrong with this, I wonder,is it allowable by the code. I have not seen it directly prohibited, but I may have just missed it. Opinions?

[This message has been edited by IanR (edited 03-05-2007).]

N
Nothing wrong with it, as long as that ceiling junction box is accessible after finish (blank cover?).

It may be the case that it is easier to fish wires from the walls into the ceiling space than to drill the studs and fish wire along the walls from box to box.

I
IanR Offline OP
That is what he tells me. The old plaster walls are in good shape and they do not want to cut them up to run the new wires.

I
IanR Offline OP
Thanks for the quick reply.

B
That's how the older brick homes are wired wher I live. The home runs are all to the ceiling boxes, from there the receps are fed. Of course there are not a lot of receps.

Z
I've used both methods and actually prefer the "radial" that you mention, granted there is adequate access and work space in an accessible attic space where the junction is located. I even put a box above each room or area and then "spider" out from there when appropriate.

You'd be surprised how much easier finish is when you have only one cable coming into each outlet box. I personally find that the time savings in finish make-up out weighs the time it takes to screw in a box and install a few romex connectors.

G
Just make sure that box is big enough. You are talking about 11 conductors if I read this right. Add a couple more if this has a switch leg. You also have 5 whites under that big "cludge" nut. Electrically this is fine but mechanically it can be a chore to get this all back in there.

Greg Fretwell
S
I also prefer this method. As the other person stated just be sure the box is big enough to handle the fill calculation. I find it much easier to run the cables and fish them thru the old plaster walls. I do not do much residential work but as long as the box is assessable (forgive my lousy keyboard skills) and big enough you will find this is a very simple way of doing this. Ive even done it on a new house. Once the boss saw what I did he liked it. Very neat and professional. et us know how this turned out.
Steve

I
IanR Offline OP
Next time I am up that way I will try to take some shots of the finished work and post them here.
Thanks for all of the replies.

Keep in mind if the attic above could ever be finished these junction boxes will be a problem. I have dealt with this before and it can be a pain to get them outa the way.
Ob

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard