ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 516 guests, and 32 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#75522 03/07/07 09:47 AM
T
I've noticed that if you come to this forum as a "lazy" information seeker, meaning that you didn't bother to use the search function once before you asked "ground up or ground down"!?) you might get less than exuberant replies. There is a tremendous amount of info here at ECN locked in the archives to be gleaned. Please take a moment or two to study previous questions and responses before posting. I think it shows respect! The site might then "feel" a bit warmer to the lurking/questioning stranger. John

#75523 03/07/07 03:30 PM
M
There are some here who sometimes might discourage new startups with the truthful facts that they dispense. They mean to help not to discourage, but if you read some of those posts carefully, they sure don't read that way all the time. That is where the most put downs show up in this forum in my opinon. There are many very large electrical contracting outfits in this land, but most if not all can trace the roots back to some old sparky and his pickup truck. So I like to encourage all the new startup guys, difficulty or not enough business sense nontheless.

#75524 03/07/07 05:52 PM
E
In the same vein as Twin City, I read the ENTIRE General Discussion, Violation photos, photos submitted for Discussion, Electrical Nostalgia, NEC code issues, and occupational safety sections back to front, before ever joining, no repeat topics for me!

-Will

#75525 03/07/07 11:46 PM
Folks,
I have a certain sinking feeling that this thread could have been started because of me to a certain degree.
I am not making any excuses for my conduct here, my sense of humour seems to go over some people's heads (as twisted as it is).
I am not here to annoy anyone, less so drive people away, if you feel that I have wronged you, please by all means send me an e-mail and we can get this sorted out.
I may go way off-topic and have a few stories that I have built up in my years of working as an Electrician, etc, I mean no harm in anything I post, if you read it twice, it might even be funny.
As someone said above, times have changed since this board was created, people work longer and harder for the same amount of money, that has to impact on your "off-site" life.
Just my $0.02 worth.

{Message edited to add middle bit} [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 03-07-2007).]

#75526 03/08/07 02:01 AM
M
Trumpy, I bet it was never you. You have never seemed to come off wrong even once in my book. So keep messing up, as it were.

#75527 03/08/07 04:30 PM
I second what macmikeman said..don't worry Trumpy, it's most positively not you. [Linked Image]

Overall, with a few exceptions, this is indeed the friendliest forum. Some people do come off the wrong way, maybe due to a bad day or maybe sometimes just not reading closely enough before responding to a post.

And sometimes a different level of experience comes into play. Remember that not all of us do commercial electrical, or residential, or deal with sensitive equipment all the time. What works for one facet of the trade may or may not work for other facets of the trade.

I think reno said it best with this statement:

We have a trade that covers an immense amount of ground, and no one knows it all. Often, there are more than a few 'correct' answers.

Something everyone from the top down needs to keep in mind when responding to a question or situation. [Linked Image]

But in general, ECN is still the best run and most informative of the electrical forums I've encountered. Bill and the mods do a good job overall. [Linked Image]

Stupid should be painful.
#75528 03/22/07 12:11 AM
One thing I will say from a Moderators point of view, is the fact that most of the folks here are very well behaved.
I am a moderator over at a local (non-electrical) board and we are riddled with internet trolls that look to upset every thread that is posted there.
I would like to say though, thanks to the Members, Moderators and Admin here for keeping this place so clean and tidy.
This has to be the best place on the Internet as far as a Community goes.
Please keep it up guys. smile

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard