ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 278 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
aldav53 Offline OP
Rum my own small electrical business Licensed, insured etc. Am 53. Work sometimes alone and sometimes with help. There is a possible opening for an Inspectors job here. Just wondering who might be inspectors out there, or not, what they thought of that kind of a change. Running your own business which I'm used too - physical part getting harder though, or take an inspectors Job. Easier physically maybe, but working for someone else again. I have to decide.
I would guess pay would be around $50,000 + benifits, only a guess though. Anyone an inspector an like it?

The Golden Rule - "The man with the gold makes the rule"
I had the same thoughts/situation 5+ years ago. Took an Insp position P/T to 'test the waters'.

Decided after a while to 'go F/T'; for the bennies. Was costing about 15K for BCBS (Health) for me and wife; that was the biggie.

Basically, the majority of the AHJ's here were/are contractors who decided to make the move.

As to 'working for someone'; it took a bit, but it was not bad. That's why I gave it a shot as P/T first.

John

John
A
aldav53 Offline OP
Benefits are a big plus, I sent out a resume.
Guess its worth checking out anyway.

G
I was a contractor inspector for the State of Florida for 8 years. No bennies. It was good money tho.
I looked at a muni inspector job for a minute but I didn't like the workload. The pay was mid 30s to 50s but you might leave the office with 30 or more a day, spread out over a 60-100 mile driving day (in town).
I actually drove more with the state but it was mostly rural miles and I didn't have many inspections to do so I could take my time on them.
Like any job, working for someone else, it really comes down to how your upper management treats you. The good news is government benefits are pretty good ... for now.
The other question is do they license inspectors were you are and how hard is that to do? Most Munis can get you a provisional license in places where they license but the clock will be ticking. Do you like taking tests?

Greg Fretwell
A
aldav53 Offline OP
Don't think there is an actual inspec license, but might be a test, which would be ok. Its just not being able to set my own hours etc.

L
LK Offline
"Its just not being able to set my own hours etc"

Ya, I agree, who would want to work a 7 or 8 hour day, after working 10 to 12 hrs. a day in your own business, and those weekends off, must really be a hard thing, to adjust to, and I really would miss trying to pay that medical coverage every month, plus what would I do with all the holidays off, where would I go, that inspectors job sounds really nasty, something I would have to think about for a long time, like 5 seconds.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 02-26-2007).]

Workload is heavy in Two I work in, usually 15 a day, anything from burg alarm, furn, HVAC, to new SFD, comm, ind, etc. Twp. car & gas.

Also, office paperwork; plan review, filing, etc. 8 hour day.

But as LK said.....bennies? thought process was quick. Also, vacation, sick days, personal days, and, YES there are things called "Holidays", other that Thanksgiving Day, Christmas & New Years.

BTW, here in NJ, license is mandatory. Most muni's are now looking for multi-trade inspectors; Elec & Bldg, Elec & Fire, Bldg & Plumb, etc.

John

John
You can also take smaller projects for the weekend if you want.
Say.. a panel upgrade in a weekend $2000.00 in addition to your city pay. Why Not.

Edward

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Could you also pass your own job inspection? [Linked Image]

L
LK Offline
"You can also take smaller projects for the weekend if you want.
Say.. a panel upgrade in a weekend $2000.00 in addition to your city pay. Why Not."

Why Not, might be paying all the overhead to do a few jobs, will cost more then the income it produces, $2000 is the selling price, after you take out the overhead and operating expenses, take out the material cost, there is not much left.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 02-26-2007).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard