ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#75376 02/24/07 10:04 AM
Grover Offline OP
Situation:

Log cabin
Home owner (don't you love 'em!) cut in one box for outside light by entry door - has feed, but impossible to pull another wire (fed via door frame)

I seem to remember a 3-way that "talked" over the feed line - like X-10, but can't seem to find it - Leviton if I recall..

Anyone have a better memory than mine - sometimes I think I have a photographic memory, but ran out of film a few years ago <grin>.

Thanks!

Grov

G

Greg Fretwell
S

Is it Leviton, Powerline Carrier Controls?

Hank
M
The big orange store has a device for this also. Never used one though.

H
X-10 is very easy. Uses a 2-wire application for as many switches as you want. Try this link: http://www.homecontrols.com/cgi-bin...nion-Slave-Switch-for-3-Way-Applications

Grover Offline OP
Thanks gang!

Looks like th X10 solution is the way to go...

Grov

H
Grover,
There is also a relatively new wireless switch which does not need any batteries. When you push the switch the mechanical movement generates a radio signal that talks to a small wired module that controls a load. Up to 30 switches can control one load. One switch can control an unlimited number of loads. They are about $60 each for the switch and $60 each for the module. EC&M had a short article in January, 2007 issue. The web site for the switch is www.adhocelectronics.com Anybody tried these out yet? They have been used in Europe for some time.

G
Excuse me jumping in on this, but do you have any further information on wireless switches use/availabilty in Europe ?
(For 230 volts)

H
Geoff,
Funny you should ask. The company that actually developed these wireless devices for many different uses such as security systems, building automation, lighting control is a European company. Go to www.enocean.com for more information. They are a spinoff from Siemens.
It seems likely that this wireless type of device would work well in post and beam homes that are so popular in Europe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard