ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
I could enjoy the threads just for Alan's signature lines. "The gene pool needs a little chlorine." I love it. Back in the Jurassic era I sold pool chemicals. I wonder if the gene pool could stand a shock treatment. grin

S
I have a problem with the way they show their typical install on their site:
http://www.interlockkit.com/typicalinstall1.htm
Since when do you backfeed into a convenience outlet?

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
G
I flipped through their catalog and found a picture of what they're calling their "convenience outlet". It doesn't call for a suicide cord (thank goodness), but it has blades that are de-energized until the panel breaker is closed...which can't be done until the main is opened; so that's safe.
I wish that they had called it something else, like a "generator input receptacle" to stop the average homeowner who finds this product from thinking that this is justification for cobbling together the dangerous 'backfeed the dryer outlet' trick.
This seems to be safe when properly installed, but I don't always trust that the installations will follow the instructions as methodically as the manufacturer would like.
I could easily see the HO removing or bending the plate that allows only 1 breaker to be closed at a time. It also only works with specific breaker locations, so the panel will need to have the branch breakers relocated. If this ever needed work, I can hear the same comments that are on this forum coming out of the mouth of the guy who has to fix this if it ever fails.
Besides, the cost of the interlock kit, special generator cable, wiring device and panel rework is pretty high; high enough to scare off many of the 'cheap' HO market. Remember how often we see a $1 million house with an owner who doesn't want to 'waste' $100 on a safety-related item. Personally, when all is said and done, I'd rather have a standard transfer switch installed...but that's just me.

Ghost307
S
Thanks Ghost, I found the "convenience outlet" you are referring to under the Optional Parts page. I agree that it should be called something else.

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
M
Looking only briefly at this site, I found this disturbing statement: "The interlock kit allows only one of these feed systems to be operational at one time, protecting the panel from being overloaded by both sources".

Seeing something like this gives me plenty of reason to question their entire understanding of the conecpt of providing emergency power. I guess the concept of backfed power entering other homes on the same transformer, voltage being stepped up by the transformer going to God-knows-where, and the poor POCO lineman who comes in contact with it doesn't figure with these guys.

Mike (mamills)

F
Mike [Mamills]:

I agree with you with that sisuation for the stand by generator hookup and the interlock kit but what really nearly blew me apart that what if some stupid DIY's get the cover off and try to fiddle around with something and if they have the genny running and got the main breaker on the same time you know what the result shocked

I just rather just jusfity spend little extra money to get the real transfer switch and elmated that silly gimzo there.

And also i was looking at the website about the interlock kit i think they should reword the outlet to the INLET with twist lock so they dont have a funny idea with this at all.

Merci, Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

G
I caught the state using a (female) L6-30R to feed a transfer switch at my toll booths. The scary thing was this was a mastered plan and they said they built a bunch of them like this with no complaints.

Greg Fretwell
I
Gentlemen,

I apologize if my reply was taken as a commercial. It was not intended to sell the interlock kit. Yet, I did feel as though I needed to clear a few things up from past posts.

I understand that some are not too fond of the wording of our "convenience outlet."

The actual part name from the manufacturer is a "Power Inlet Box". Maybe we should think about changing back to that.

As for the concerns about the removing the dead front cover and being able to bend the plates to force the breakers on that is another thing.

The plates are made of stainless steel and the pictures online don't do the Interlock Kit any justice in terms of appearance. Beleive me they aren't as crude as they were originally as in the picture discussed. Yet being made of stainless steel, the degree of effort to bend this kit is tremendous. Along with the mounting screws that are also stainless, I don't see the bending effect to be any sort of problem in the installation of the device.

For removing the dead front cover, well that is just something that we are going to have to reiterate to the home owner while installing the kit.

Installers and electricians are only liable for what the instructions say as the correct installation. If a homeowner decides to take the panel off and play with the circuits, then we cannot be held accountable for that. Even with the Cutler Hammer dead fronts that have the kit already installed, if you remove the cover you can still get hurt, any open panel can be potentially hazardous.

We do make kits that are not readily available to certain panels, retro fitting to almost any manufacturer. Giving the option of saving time and money to both the contractor and the homeowner.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Ryan

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard