ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
As there is no guidance in the matter in the NEC, I look at it from a marketing point of view. Here in Northern Illinois grounds are down or to the right. From a marketing point of view...imagine your favorite client paying you $20,000 for their major rewire...they have a grand party and you've installed the grounds up because you think it matters. All the guests are looking at the new remodeling job & saying..."He installed the outlets upside down...GREAT JOB!"

Dave

W
If you have a grinding wheel, you can ground down the outlets. Of if you have an industrial shredder machine, you can ground them up... [Linked Image]

Having seen so many pictures of plugs plugged into receptacles with the ground pin hanging half way out of the slot, by the wieght on the plug, I would tend to think that ground down would be safer.
Just my $0.02 worth. [Linked Image]

S
I install them with the ground to the left. Neutral facing up... [Linked Image]

P
The German solution -- Ground up and down simultaneously! [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
The 2005 NEC Handbook addresses this in 406.4(D). Receptacles shall be flush or protrude out--- then in the Green Print(which is an explanation of the code) it says The NEC doesn't specify the position (blades up or down)of a common vertically mounted 15 or 20 amp receptacle. it shows pictures throughout mounted both ways. i would recommend checking the job specs if there are any.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard