ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Nick...The reason why things CAN change is due to NEC Article 90.2(b)(5). The reason why things are done in their own fashion, aside from the technicalities, stem in part from the result of 50-80 years of having state-wide infrastructures/organizations/providers that were around long before we or our parents were born. I coaxed this truth out of a 29 yr.TXU Switch Manager in regards to the strange color code. Things have been done for so long state-wide, it is just how things are. You ought to have heard my fellow journeyman rant today about having to install white for positve and black for negative on the battery banks/chargers in the control room. Oh well....

[This message has been edited by 3rd degree Burns (edited 02-12-2002).]

E
Actually, the color code is the old vacuum tube circuit color code, where black was common, and white was some positive voltage. This electronics color code is still found in equipment today..as well as in the curriculum of the engineering students. Its not "practice", its just a different color code. They probably think WE are the one's who are backward.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Elzappr,

I have never seen any hot wires marked white. Our standard electrical engineering color code has always been balck for common, red for positive. Thats what we are taught here.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard