ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 528 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Yeah, Resqcap...Schedule 40 PVC and I have no problem with 2"nipples or straight runs. Even the NEC table only shows a max. of two #4/0 RHW. One 90 is verticle, the other horizontal, both are buried leading into the control room....about 150-160 feet underground and an additional 75 feet up into the overhead tray and over into my distribution panels. We will see.....I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

R
3rd degree,
I agree that the Table C10 says that only2 4/0 RHWs fit in a 2" schedule 40 PVC conduit, it also says that 3 4/0 THWs fit and 4 4/0 THWNs or XHHWs fit. With the proper equipment I don't see any problem other than the pull rope and or conductors cutting through the inside of the 90s. If this happens the conducotrs will be damaged.
Don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)
N
Don,
Mule tape is used by datacom people allot. I don't remember the exact material it's made of but it is smooth and flat with footage numbers stamped on it. I think its nylon. I have found it works well on small and medium size feeder pulls. It does not cut into PVC 90's. If I find a link or manufacturer I'll post back with it.

Are you also including the #4 EGC in your calcs for conduit size? Doesn't it become 2-1/2"?

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 02-09-2002).]

R
Electure,
I didn't include an EGC. I see that this is after the service disconnect so an EGC required and you are correct that when the #4 EGC is added a 2 1/2" conduit is requried.
Good catch!!
Don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)
Like I said, tommorrow should prove interesting...........

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
I guess you would be referring to me and my fellow engineers. I woudl agree that a lot of engineers need to have field experience before entering into any job requiring design. I am very glad that I am still getting my field trainging while earning my degree. I have looked at designs from professors and fellow students that are almost impossible to do in the real world. The trouble always comes from the lack of field experience.

Electure, overheads are out of the question in a switchyard....EVERYTHING is buried in PVC (except for the high voltage transmission lines). I installed the disconnect about 20' below some comparatively small 38KV potential transformers....you get the picture.

Cool........we made our run today, a HARD pull, a tackle and a bucket of soap, but otherwise OK. Actually, we ended up pulling THW instead of RHW and only three 4/0's instead of four(2 hots & neutral). We will derive our ground somewhere else-son't ask, there are miles of grounded grid electrodes in a switchyard and the EGC will come into an overhead in an opposite direction than where I took our service-it gets complicated but the entire yard is fairly "flat" as a result). Really though, I don't think we could have negotiated that last PVC elbow if we had to pull four in that damn 2".

N
We will derive our ground somewhere else-son't ask, there are miles of grounded grid electrodes in a switchyard and the EGC will come into an overhead in an opposite direction than where I took our service-it gets
We did a small power plant last summer that I spent a few weekends at. The grounding (bonding) scheme was similar. Just tap into the ground grid anywhere. I did then and still do think it is a violation of 250.134(B). I don't understand why things suddenly change just because your we are inside a substation or power plant.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard