ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 293 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
"IOC" who? If it wasn't for American money, there wouldn't be an Olympics. God Bless America!

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
Just took mine down 'cause it's getting dark, now.
I've been meaning to say something. I'm darn glad to see the flag flying in the top-left of our Bulletin Board every time I'm here.
Bill, Joe, et al It's OUR FLAG.
Thank You, and WattDoc, you're right. God Bless Us All.
That flag stands for all of us.
(International members included)

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 02-08-2002).]

M
Flying the flag is great. But having the NYCFD bring in the twin towers flag to the olympic fiels wasn't flying the flag. It was pushing our political agenda on our international guests.

If I went to the olympics in Germany (just to pick a country), I'd expect to see the German flag, I'd stand and remove my hat in respect for my hosts, I'd expect to see a big show including oktoberfest, leiderhosen, beer steins, helmut kohl, and other things German and I'd think it was great, I was probably there to see the country anyway. But if they brought out the national symbol of their latest political posturing over some country they're fighting with today, I'd not be impressed.

The olympics in Salt Lake is the place to show national pride, fly the flag, show em apple pie, hot dogs, and 67' chevy's. Sing the American anthem and make them feel welcome. But that particular flag isn't about national pride, that particular flag is about a recent political event.

That flag belongs at the Superbowl...that's an event for Americans, tour it around the country's highschools, fly it every morning on TV, even bring it to the UN (where interntional political disputes are appropriate), but we should be a gracious host for a couple of weeks and not force feed our political agendas on our welcome guests.

M
Maintenanceguy
I must disagree. First the IOC backed down becuase of pressure from Irate Americans, and justly so. The flag from the WTC represents the 3000 Americans who were slaughtered for doing nothing more than going to work on a Tuesday morning. In honoring these fallen heroes is just another way to let the rest of the world know that we stand together, at least most of us. If that is some sort of Political agenda then so be it. I am one American who is tired of hearing a few other Americans apologise for America all the time. We have the most because we make it and if it aint available we invent it.
Second if the rest of the world doesnt like the flag from the WTC, thats just too Da** bad, as far as I am concerned, We as Americans are accountable to noone.
God Bless America !

I'd rather not debate Political things here and don't presume to know what is proper, or always in good taste, but I don't see anything wrong with the WTC Flag being there. I think that it would be naive for anyone, anywhere, to consider what happened, or the factions behind it to be our problem, I think it's quite the opposite. These radicals and their organizations have been allowed to fester for too long and by too many. Ignoring them or pretending that they're someone elses' problem is a big mistake that has gone uncorrected for too long.

Bill

Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard