ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 335 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
In some areas I understand, a Homeowner can perform their own Electrical work (where permits are required) if they pass a 'Competancy' Exam. Has anyone had any contact with this?

I'm just curious as to what would be contained on such an exam and if there were other legalities involved such as the signing of waivers and such.

Bill

Bill
S
We have this in parts of New York, not nyc. Basically as I understand it,if the homeowner passes a test, not sure if it is the same as my test. They are entitled to a permit to do their own wiring, good for one job on your own premisis only.

silverbk,

I am from NY also (Long Island) I have heard of such exams here but have not heard any details. I am quite sure that it is not as detailed as any Licensing exam. I am curious as to the depth of the questions involved and is the agency thus declaring the person to be competant for the task involved?

Bill

Bill
C
In British Columbia, Canada, a homeowner can pull a "homeowners" permit and do all the work themselves as long as it passes inspection. Ive also heard but its never been proven to me that an electrician in BC after completing their 2nd term of school, can apply to pull permits as a residential electrician, which entitles them services up to 200A single phase.

S
boy i wish they'd do something like that around here
[Linked Image]

Sparky,

What were you wishing for?

Bill

Bill
S
Bill;
well up here in Vermont there is nothing required for single family construction. So half of the electrical biz around here is cleaning up someone else's mess, which is somewhat the frustrating half we could do without.
Even if they had some sort of very basic electrical homeowners exam as you've mentioned, things would smooth out better.

Sparky,

So, you mean that the Homeowner would do a better job at it, or not be allowed to do it. I wasn't sure what you meant.

My parents are up in NH. I went up to wire the house a couple of years ago. The fire marshall there is the AHJ and said that as long as I was Licensed somewhere it wouldn't be a problem if I wanted to come up and do it.

I found several things interesting while I was there. At the supply house I wasn't able to buy copper SEU cable. (We can't use it in many areas down on LI) I learned from the Carpenters on the job that common practice was to tack cables perpendicular to ceiling joists and then fur out with 1 by 2s and hang the sheetrock, thereby putting the cable just below the depth of the finish. Down here, and by the NEC holes would have to be bored through the members. So, I guess that their Homeowners' test would be different than ours anyway. [Linked Image]

Bill

Bill
S
single family dwellings do not need a permit or license here. The closest thing to an AHJ i have seen is a bank inspector. I don't imagine that will change anytime soon, so this "competency exam" sounds like a quick fix.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard