ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
When I first started working with VFDs at GE, we required a set of contacts in the load side disconnect switch that would open as soon as you started to open the switch, since a lot of the non-informed folks would see the local safety disconnect switch and use it like a light switch to turn the motor on and off.
The reason for the contacts was to send a signal to the VFD's control circuitry that its load was about to go to zero.
The VFD tended to freak out if it suddenly lost its load and would do some crazy stuff, ranging from fuse-blowing to electronics-smoking.
That signal gave the VFD the notice that it needed so that it would behave normally and would not damage itself.

Ghost307
G
deleted as I had misread some of the comments.

[This message has been edited by George (edited 02-10-2007).]

N
If the breaker was located between the VFD and the motor, damage could be a possibility.

Every VFD installation I have seen has the overcurrent protection on the line side of the VFD, though. Interrupting the AC feed to the VFD isn't a problem, but you don't want to break the OUTPUT leads.

[This message has been edited by NJwirenut (edited 02-09-2007).]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard