ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (ampherder, Scott35), 259 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A
We just got a cooling table for production that may be moved around to differant locations. What I need to know is there a way to check for direction with out using refridge gauges , such as amp draw differance between directions without recking the compressor. the condenser fans are 120 volts so I can't go by them.

W
Is it cord and plug connected? If so just get a 3phase rotation meter with the same plug. Test before connecting.

A
Yes it can be cord and plug connected,but the unit is sealed no external shaft .so how would you know if it was running in the right direction with the phrase rotation meter westuplace .

Cat Servant
First of all, talk to the manufacturer of the unit.

Taking liquid into the compressor can be a real disaster for the most common type of compressor. It is likely that the manufacturer has specific steps for you to take, in order to reduce this risk.

Indeed, having the HVAC guy empty the system prior to transport is likely a good idea in any event. An added bonus is that you can do your hook-up before the refrigerant is returned to the system.

W
I assume the unit is hooked up and running now?
If so, just install a plug of the same type on the machine, on the phase meter. Use it to determine the phase rotation on the existing ckt. Note the rotation and make sure the other locations are the same. Many hermatic compressors do not care how they are hooked up, they will only pump one way.

A
Westuplace, to answer your comment ,no the unit was not running it came from another plant and found out the compressor does not work. hvac guy came out and changed the compressor and after that he told me he put a single phrase compressor in it. So it worked out better. Didn't see it yet. So thanks again for all the input Guys .

F
A normal recipricating compressor will run fine regardless.A scroll wil scream bloody murder so you will know and a minute shouldn't hurt.I have installed plenty when i was a ref mach and never had a problem.If it is a scroll it may get reversed as it is moved from place to place.Scrolls are not ment to be portable if 3 phase or you will be in call-back hell.Any compressor can lock up.Wait at least 5 minutes before a restart on all ref equipment.
cheers

[This message has been edited by frank (edited 02-05-2007).]

Link Copied to Clipboard