ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 270 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#74539 01/26/07 06:50 PM
R
Rewired Offline OP
Well, once again, its happened... I was leaving for work about 7:40 this morning, opened the door to my own truck and found it had been broken into sometime in the night.. Nothing was taken that I noticed as I have nothing of value in the truck ( I always bring my hand tools in the house if I bring them home). The only damage was the door handle, and some sheetmetal and a LOT of scratches in the paint. It was then I noticed the kid up the street, his car had its door wide open, broken glass everywhere, speaker box on the ground, and the girl across in the court her car had its door handle pulled out and her stereo gone.
Just goes to show you cant have nice things without someone trying to take them from you!

A.D

B
It is out of hand. Someone on my street saw 2 people breaking in to a neighbors house. She called 911, the police said there was no one available in the area for immediate response. The thieves got what they wanted and the police showed up 45 minutes later.
I think we are going to see more people taking matters into their own hands. If I caught someone ripping me off, hard to say what I might do. In the past year we have had at least 3 thieves shot and killed by homeowners. In two instances the thieves forced their way in while the people were home watching TV. No charges filed in any of the cases.
A few years ago an old man saw someone stealing meat from a freezer he kept outside. He shot and killed them. Again, no charges were filed.

E
e57 Offline
Might I suggest some flood lighting and cameras. And in general an alarm system for each of the vehicals, especially yours.

Not that you should be required to have such things to deter this type of assault on property, but it does help. You can guarantee these types of people will come back, and it should be as unwelcoming as possible. If it was easy for them to break into at least 3 cars in the same general area they found it obviously easy pickins'.

Don't get me wrong, in 2006 I had 8 attempted breakins of my van. I've gotten warnings from the cops after mashing some kids face into the gutter after he set my alarm off, and chased another off with a bender handle - had I been a little quicker I would have split his skull. (Below)
[Linked Image from markhellerelectric.com]
This pic was before the flood lighting that act as secondary street lighting. IR cameras are a bit grainy and black & white, but add a bit of light you'll get get good color pictures of them. I also use the cameras as motion sensors, so any movement in the protected area turns on the 500w floods - it's like daylight... Or the deck of a fishing boat at night... I get pictures of people about to check my doors - the lights go on, and they keep walkin'

Not that is the end all deterant, as I was having a New Years Party with 40+ people in the house, and some dope still tried my doors of the van. But now I know who he is...

I also know how many dogs use my lawn, and when the Jehovas have been to my door.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
D
Originallp Posted By e57:
Don't get me wrong, in 2006 I had 8 attempted breakins of my van. I've gotten warnings from the cops after mashing some kids face into the gutter after he set my alarm off, and chased another off with a bender handle - had I been a little quicker I would have split his skull.

Warnings from the cops? The only problem I can see is that the gutter technically isn't on your property. Next time I'd drop 'em as they were leaning in the van scoopin' up your stuff, and call the cops as a combination courtesy and request for clean up.

I've got several friends on multiple PD's so this isn't intended as a bash, but the truth is, the PDs have no obligation to protect us from crime, simply to respond to our calls, process evidence, and present information to the DAs for prosecution.

The only way the scum won't escalate their breakins is if they are caught red handed, either by the PD or a PO'd contractor, and the correct results occur.

E
e57 Offline
The warnings were because what I did could be a chargable 'assault' - against people trying to rip me off. The last one, the guy pictured above came back, thats when I chased him off while waiting more than 3 hours for the cops to come....

I wonder... Is it considered non-lethal to use... say - Birdshot, then Deerslugs?

Anyway, the lights really do help - and it is something we can all do. The cameras just keep me in check from bashing in the heads of the wrong persons, and allow me to focus on the right ones.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Mark,
This sort of thing is a very emotive situation.
With "the guy" trying to break into you van and your livelihood.
I would feel the same to be honest, but to aim a loaded firearm at another human being in civillian life?.
I've been a hunter for over 20 years and I could never shoot a fellow human being.
I have 2 shotguns and 8 rifles here, unless I was directly threatened inside my house here wouldn't I even think of loading a rifle or shotgun.
Under current NZ law you have to keep your rifle, ammo, the bolt and the magazine in 4 different places within your residence.
The Police here check you here every 6 months.
That is if you have a gun licence.

P
She called 911, the police said there was no one available in the area for immediate response. The thieves got what they wanted and the police showed up 45 minutes later.

Over here, all you'd have to do is tell the police "No hurry, I've just knocked the thief unconscious." They'd be there in 2 minutes flat to arrest you for assaulting the intruder. Tell 'em you have a gun on him and it'll be 30 seconds. [Linked Image]

C
well around this neck of the woods we have neighbors that watch out for each other.if any one comes up they politely ask what there doing other wise they just tend to leave.i belive the floodlights & security camera are a good ideal.as for the law getting here usually about 15 minutes.were the same way here also if ya shoot the fool or knock the crap out of him, you're the one going jail & not the thief.boy is it a sad day for the honest man!

Z
Here's a new one that I'll post as a warning.

Had one of my high end clients, in a very prominent area, robbed while he was out of the country. The police said they had about 20 in the last couple of weeks, and they had an interesting approach to their robberies.

They apparently go door to door and knock to see if anyone is home. If someone DOES answer, they say they just moved into the area and are greeting their "new neighbors". If no one answers, they break in.

They just got away with small items, like jewelery and cameras and whatnot - stuff they can conceal upon exit - but that stuff can add up to thousands of $$, and somethings are irreplaceable.

Just another thing to worry about in a world full of ***holes.

So, always try to remember the faces and characteristics of people that come to your door for seemingly harmless reasons. You never know...

As far as the controversy over violence to another human being, I'm a little ashamed to say that I'm pro-violence in the act of protecting my hard earned property. It's not like we sit around all day gabbing by the watercooler - we work for a living.

Taking a mans tools with which he makes a living is right up with with horse-theiving in the old west. A hanging offence...

Administrator
Folks,

This is something that can easily invoke strong emotions. I can certainly sympathize with some of these, but if this discussion is to continue let's focus on ways to deter theft that don't include threat (or promise) of physical harm.

Bill

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard