ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
Whoever said it was hard to find a 3 gang weatherproof box was right. I can get it from Hubbel, and may still have to. The cheapest price I can get on the box is
$ 29.00 from Pass & Seymore which isn't too bad considering it will make the difference on a good looking job or a "tacky" looking job. The switch cover is $ 33.00. The price isn't what is really the hold up since I haven't given a price on the job, but the wait time is around 2 weeks. I've tried different places, thought I would give it another shot in asking you guys if you knew of someone that could get it for me sooner. By the way, the reason I don't won't to go with a 2 gang and a stack switch is, that I need 3 holes in the bottom. If I try to run one of them in the top, it will look terrible. Already have my pvc conduit run. This is on pool lights that the homeowner wants switch separately( 2 pool lights and column lights around the pool. Like I said the price is high, but it's the wait time I'm more concerned about. Any help would be apreciated. Thanks Steve....

T
I'm usually looking for a code-compliant way to complete a project with materials on the truck, or with readily available materials. I'd consider three side-by-side with three covers.

Dave

Cat Servant
It was for just such a job that I ordered a toggle-switch size punch from Greenlee. These days, when I need such a box, I MAKE one from a Nema 3R gutter, and attach single gang "Bell" covers as needed.

For the receptacles, I use a Dremel to cut 'Decor" openings in the cover.

Availability aside, I'm pretty disapointed in a lot of the "Bell" stuff out there (including similar stuff of other makes). I don't like the way they mount, screws seem to jam or strip too easily, parts corrode together, and the cover gasket never seems to seal.

If things keep on the way they are, I might have to mount a small milling machine in my truck [Linked Image]

E
I am with you there. Seems like since just about everything electrical (or everything else for that matter) is being made in China or Mexico, the quality has gone down the drain. Availability has also come down to whatever the assembly line in Xhu Han is putting out that day. The screws rust after the first rain, the springs break after a dozen uses and the gaskets are nothing more than black cardboard. You have to drill your own holes in the gaskets since the KO's barely penetrate. The foam gaskets are a little better.

I know it's tacky, but is there any reason that you can't use a 2-gang next to a 1-gang with side hub openings and a close nipple between them? It's better and easier than waiting two weeks (which will probably be four).

Even better, use two 2-gang boxes to provide a spot for a future device and more uniform appearance?

[This message has been edited by EV607797 (edited 01-16-2007).]

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
Red dot makes a IH5S2-1 that has threaded holes on the side as well as the bottom the above part# is for a 1gang. Just nipple them together with pvc nipple. Should look OK not as nice as 3 gang but do-able. BTW they also list a 3IHD7-2 OR 3gang.
Ob

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
S
Looks like I'm going to get a Two gang Pass & Seymore 2 gang box with 3 holes in bottom, then use a stack switch and a single pole. I will probably use an in use cover. Still would like a 3 gang though and a 3 gang switch plate. The two gang is suppose to be in Friday or Monday. Oh well thanks for the help anyway. And I agree with the fact that materials just seem to be not quality anymore. It seems that most of my problems are material related. Just mounted a single gang weatherproof box and screwed the grounding screw in the box and it was already stripped out. This is not the first time this has happened. Quality products seems to be a thing of the past. Thanks Steve...

Link Copied to Clipboard