ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 274 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
out here in crazy California we are starting to see more and more houses plumbed with the plastic "Pex" tubing. It makes bonding the water system a little difficult. We have been bonding the 6" copper stub out where the water main comes into the house. I was just curious what other peoples thoughts and comments are on the subject. The inspectors around here don't really have much to say about it.

E
Don't confuse the requirement to bond the Grounding Electrode (250.50)and the requirement to bond the metal water pipe(250.104).
250.50 requires you to bond that 6" metal stub from outside, but if there aren't any metal water pipes inside, then 250.104 is moot.

Earl
P
PEX is making inroads here, but traditional copper pipe is still the norm for internal plumbing in most houses.

However, plumbers are increasingly using plastic push-fit couplings instead of either soldered joints or brass compression fittings, which means that in many cases we have to go around with pipe clamps and short lengths of bonding cable to jumper across the joins.

D
Just out of curiosity, who insures the water pipe is metal, and is over 10' long?

Where you or the inspector there when they put it in?

T
We had the same issue at a concrete tilt-up business park we did from the ground up. The copper plumbing exited the wall outside each suite, and became 2" pvc before it hit the dirt. Solution? Ufer grounds. But it was still quite silly to have to put ground clamps on the copper pipes which really went nowhere, just for show & inspection.

E
If your copper water pipe is less than 10 feet, then it does not qualify as a grounding electrode, and does not need to be bonded. Regardless, supplemental ground rods need to be installed. I understand the origional reason for requiring supplemental ground rods when the only GE on the job is a metal water pipe is this scenario you have just described. One cannot rely upon the metal water pipe to be in contact with the earth for 10 feet, nor can it be relied on to stay metal.

Earl
L
When my house was built last summer, pex was used. Grounding was achived with a Ufer and an additional ground rod for compliance.

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

S
PEX is the greatest stuff ever- it's so cheap and so easy (especially considering copper prices now! $30 for 5' of 3/4" thin-wall cu pipe?) that it won't be long before it's used exclusively. We'd best just get used to it- if the GCs think about it, the foundation rebar would be a perfect electrode in place of the pipes.

G
I haven't seen any copper in Florida new construction in 20 years. Cape Coral's lawsuits over pinholed copper was the death knell to anyone who might have wanted to do it. CPVC is the norm but some use PEX on a Maniblock system.
My wife's half million dollar homes (and up) are CPVC. They don't bond anything except the pool but this year Florida is requiring the steel studs get bonded. A metal box somewhere in each wall section will suffice.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard