ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 376 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#74189 01/22/07 11:26 AM
R
rad74ss Offline OP
I took off work on Friday and spent the day rebuilding my service. Unfortunately 'Murphy' decided to come over and lend a hand. All day long. It was practically impossible to find parts. I had to use a temporary wooden back block between the mast and the house because nobody had unitstrut or clamps left. I also put a guy wire on to help take the strain of the long run.

As I was tightening down the last connection in the meter the PSO guy pulls up and says he will have a crew over to hook me up in ten minutes. They had me hooked up and lights shining in about thirty minutes and then they headed out to the next house.

They said their main problems so far were in order. People hooking generators directly to their breaker mains, people not having their services correct for hook up (crossing hot and neutral or no grounds), and services that were not structurally stable (the weight of the wires were pulling the mast off the houses).

The power crews are doing an excellent job out here. They are working 18 hour days in crappy weather and dangerous conditions so keep them in your thoughts. And if you see someone buying a generator let them know how to hook it up!

#74190 01/22/07 01:49 PM
G
If I was in an ice area I would have a stout guy wire on my service mast.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard