ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 37 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Sounds to me like "Christmas candles in the window" circuit...with a timer to turn them off after a period of time. I'd guess a handle tie on the breakers should take care of the simultaneous disconnection means since both circuits originate from the same panel.

S
Do I understand correctly that the problem is that the "candle" circuit goes to many places, and the shared duplex receptacles are on various different circuits, depending on which room you are in? In other words, to have all circuits that are sharing various common yokes all switch at once would require many poles, like perhaps a 6-pole or 9-pole breaker?

You could do one of the following:

1) Convert all the split duplexes back to normal duplexes, which are only fed by the "candle" circuit.

2) Convert the split duplexes to double duplexes, or to a single plus a duplex, with one yoke on the "candle" circuit, and the other on the local circuit.

3) Connect all the duplexes to the normal circuits in the room, and plug in X-10 or Insteon controllers to control the candles.

L
LK Offline
"3) Connect all the duplexes to the normal circuits in the room, and plug in X-10 or Insteon controllers to control the candles."

That is how the ones we did were controlled, with X10's. no need for split circuits, that allowed them to select each light, or all on, and the timer was easy to change manual or stored program.

E
I have tried using X10 plug-in lamp modules for this in the past with marginal success. It seems that the modules require a certain amount of connected load (60 watts I believe). I had to use 60 watt candelabra bulbs in them and then dim them down with the X10 control. Have they changed these modules in the past year or so to pemit lower wattage loads?

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
L
LK Offline
"I have tried using X10 plug-in lamp modules for this in the past with marginal success. It seems that the modules require a certain amount of connected load (60 watts I believe). I had to use 60 watt candelabra bulbs in them and then dim them down with the X10 control."
"Have they changed these modules in the past year or so to pemit lower wattage loads?"

I have been using them for many years, with excellant results, using the correct modules and bridges where necessary avoids most problems, our city fire sirens operated without a problem for over 40 years using X10 type of control.
Lamp modules will not work for low current devices, you need to use an appliance module,
for loads other than incandescent lamps, such as fluorescent lamps, high-intensity discharge lamps, and electrical appliances, you will find the logic in the lamp module is unsuitable for operation, and an appliance module must be used instead.
The appliance module switches the power using an impulse relay, these modules are rated to control loads that may range from a very small current, up to 15 amperes, good for his application.

No modules have not changed, just select the right one for the application.

D
Holiday Package?

Good extra to through in....

We have these everywhere here in Lancaster Pa. You could cut in a box above horzontally with single receptacle and use your receptacle as a junction box. then put that circuit on a timer/control. You will have to use arc fault on this circuit if in bedrooms as well. These outlets do not count as genral use receptacles and should not be counted as part of 210.52.

Hope this helps!
Ob

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
FYI,
Candle circuits are for candles in the windows that is a tradition the Amish, Mennonites have, I think it is to welcome strangers, back in the day of horse and buggy.

Ob

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
W
A discussion point that came up in a DIY forum, almost as bad as 'ground up or down'....

What happens if these receptacles are present in a kitchen or dining room?

One argument was that all receptacles in the kitchen or dining room have to be part of small appliance branch circuits and then cannot extend out of these rooms. The other argument was that as long at these receptacles are in addition to the required receptacles, they can be on their own circuit extending throughout the house.

-Jon

G
If this receptacle is not servibng a counter top and is "switched" it can be on a general lighting circuit
210.52(B)(1)
Exception No. 1: In addition to the required receptacles specified by 210.52, switched receptacles supplied from a general-purpose branch circuit as defined in 210.70(A)(1)

The question becomes, what if this is an unswitched wall or floor receptacle, nowhere near a countertop. Can it also be a 210.70 general purpose outlet (15a)?

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard