ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#74020 01/10/07 08:58 PM
K
kencr Offline OP
I just built a 28 x 44 x 12 garage at my home.

I want lots of light for working on projects.

Has anyone installed or use 96" T-8 HO fixtures and lamps ? The place where we buy our fixtures, does not like making or selling them .. they say the lamps break very easy... Can anyone think of a reason other then that issue not to use them ?? With a 12' ceiling I cant use a low-bay or that would be my first choice.

Any other suggestions ?

#74021 01/10/07 09:11 PM
I
In my opinion 8' HOs are a thing of the past.

In place of the 2 lamp 8' HO fixture use a 8' fixture with four 4' T-8 Lamps.

They cold start down to at 20 F or lower and provide more light than the HOs.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#74022 01/10/07 09:28 PM
Cat Servant
I suggest you bin that idea ... and consider the newer T-5 fixtures instead. I have used them as a replacement for 400 watt MH fixtures, and they have performed extremely well.

#74023 01/10/07 11:19 PM
Not that T-8 and T-5 are bad, but i have used the HO fixtures many times with out any problem. and they will provide good amount of light.

Edward

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

#74024 01/11/07 01:25 AM
S
I can't see the advantage to using HOs. They're none too efficient and the lamps are expensive. The ballasts aren't cheap either.

They will start at low temps but so will T-8's, and T-8 fixtures are light, cheap, efficient and readily available.

#74025 01/11/07 02:30 PM
L
I would abandon the T8 all together. We just install some T5 HO fixtures in a samll garage and they far out light any T8 fixture.

#74026 01/11/07 11:14 PM
S
I've seen T-5 fixtures, but have never installed one. They seem to rely heavily on very shiny reflectors to make them work.

I may sound like a Lighting Luddite, but I'm reserving judgement for another couple of years. I remember installing acres of very shiny reflectors as fluorescent retrofits, most of which had to be replaced as the shine wore off. Trying to clean the reflectors only made the problem worse.

Has anyone had a problem with T-5 fixtures and the shine staying on 'em?

#74027 01/12/07 02:46 AM
M
Steve,
Were the reflector you used polished aluminum, or some sort of coating or paint? A lot of fixures use shiny reflectors now, most of them MIRO (See: http://www.alanod.com/opencms/sites/alanod.de/en/miro/Was_ist_MIROx/index.html) which is a coating of aluminum on a base material. I know that you can get it in several thicknesses, perhaps you used the thineest one? I'd be interested in knowing the details of the problems you were having, as I try to use reflectored lamps, even with the cost premium, but will refrain from it if you have seen maintenance problems.

FWIW, a 28W T5 is about the equivialnt to a 32W T8. All T5's have the 80 series phospher (830, 835, 841, etc). They also, as a rule, are run with programmed start ballasts, which should give longer lamp life in frequently switched applications. The reason they are used with reflectors is that the smaller diameter requires a much smaller reflector than a T8 lamp. This makes it economical to use a reflector in the fixure. The T5HO's, while not as efficient, are a grat lamp if you need a lot of punch in a small package. Be careful with these, as different lengths have different lumens per foot. In other words, if you're washing a wall with a bunch of 4' fixures, and put a 3' fixure to finish the row, the brightness of that fixure will be different than the 4' fixures. (note, this is for the HO version only!)

#74028 01/12/07 03:07 AM
S
Were the reflector you used polished aluminum, or some sort of coating or paint? A lot of fixures use shiny reflectors now, most of them MIRO

They looked just like this (from the Alanod website) and were some sort of coated/treated metal:

[Linked Image from alanod.com]

Maybe the technology has improved (this was 6-8 years ago), but the ones we installed were the pits. The coating dulled and discolored over time, especially if you happened to have touched it during installation. They also got dusty - very noticeable in fixtures with parabolic lenses. If you tried to wipe the dust off, the coating came with it. The new fixtures no doubt use a much more robust finish, but I'm still keeping my eye on them.

I really like the idea of Metal Halides with electronic ballasts - I'll be looking in to those for an upcoming project. The maintenance factor on the enclosed MH (lo-bay) versions is very low, and the dog-dish lenses do a good job of spreading out the light. If the electronic ballasts solve the noise problem and the cost is right, they sound like a winner.

[This message has been edited by stevecheyenne (edited 01-12-2007).]

[This message has been edited by stevecheyenne (edited 01-12-2007).]

#74029 01/12/07 02:59 PM
F
The T-5 fixtures I installed last spring were Holophane and had the gold Mirro reflective finish on the reflectors. They have been really successful in replacing the MH high bays on this particular job. It will be 12 months in March since we installed them and it looks like the energy savings over the MH fixtures is going to be around 40%. Part of the reduced usage will be attributed to the use of occupancy sensors on the T-5 fixtures. T-5s are great in the right application. This was a warehouse/distribution center that was climate controlled at 73º year around. I don't think T-5s are recommended where the temp will exceed 85º. They do run hot.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard