ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#73853 01/03/07 08:13 PM
H
Peter,
I'd also say to start at the receptacle. Look for an open neutral and also check to make sure the polarity is correct.

About 4 years ago, I plugged in a brand new Bosch raised-vent exhaust and saw that same flash. Turns out the factory pinched a hot wire between two metal frame parts and when I plugged it in I got a flash and the breaker tripped.

#73854 01/03/07 08:38 PM
Your typical microwave comes with a NEMA 5-15 plug, so it shouldn't plug into a NEMA 6-15/20 outlet... I'd start with a voltage reading from the outlet under load... Something smells of open neutral/multiwire circuit.

Nothing a pair of pliers can't fix...

Ian (Pulling a permit to rewire a Levittown House! <not> ) A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
#73855 01/03/07 08:57 PM
I agree with you on the multi wire branch circuit. If done correctly the have there merit. I pesonally limit my use of them in my are. As so many here do not understand them. I have seen many burned nutreals due to have both circiuts on the same phase. I once had a whole loadcenter done with multi wires and all were on the same phase. All blacks on 1 side all reds on the other opposite each but on the same phase. Looked good thou.

Ob(Phil)

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
#73856 01/03/07 10:08 PM
E
e57 Offline
Who knows this could be endemic all over the hose and the guy just thinks its normal to have some lights get brighter and some get dimmer every time he turned the old on on.

Had one like that last week. POCO neutral had obviously been on the way out, or been loose for some time from what I could tell be a breif interview of the guy. Lights had been doing the hokey pokey since he bought the house last year... (Home Inspectors said it was normal.... - I did a little experiment with dimming/raising some as an example - far from normal!) Anyway the guy gets a new plasma, and DVD - and a new dryer for himself for X-mas. He tells me as he is taking a break in his first movie on the thing, he throws some clothes in the new dryer - comes back out and the DVD and plasma are on fire.... He calls the cable company to complain.... They tell him to call an Electrician - he calls us - we tell him to shut off the main and we'll be there shortly - he calls back after fifteen minutes to cancel saying his neighbor has the same problem.... The guy turns his main back on to find out how to contact Comcast - blows up his computer.... (This is after warning the guy to keep the power off - numb-nuts still thinks it has to do with his cable line, as his neighbors TV also caught fire.) Smarter neighbor calls PG&E - they get there and fix the lost neutral - and find that his hacked together main panel has no bond - tell him to call an electrician - he calls back, and I go out there to find all 2-wire circuits - including the gas dryer - Carpenters doing foundation work had moved the water bond to a painted portion of pipe - no rods - but there was a bond at the main.... Turns out PG&E is buying TV's and other crap for most of the block.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#73857 01/04/07 12:24 AM
Tony all kidding aside two wire circuits have problems as well.

I totally agree. But the consequences of an open neutral on a two wire circuit are usually that it simply stops working, right? No harm to the connected loads, usually. Now what happens when you open the neutral on a MWBC? Or for that matter, the service?

If you don't want to use the type of circuit that delivers the electricity to your home, that is up to you.

For branch circuits, absoultely. I have no MWBC's and any place I live in won't. But the service is a factor not in my control, and:

If it's so terribly bad you should lobby to have all residential services redone with individual grounded conductors for each ungrounded conductor worldwide, after all they are MWC's.

What you all have lost sight of, and if you've read my other posts on this topic carefully, I have no issues whatsoever with service conductors and connections being set up as multiwire.

For cryin out loud, even I know that the laws of electricity make the single neutral concept a "fact of life."

Where I take issue and frankly am a bit offended is when:

But I will tell you I am tiring of your unsupported posts that multi wire circuits are inherently bad.

You have based your opinion on anecdotal evidence and not science.

..since in those other discussions I have readily conceded that in other lines of work and installations, MWBC's are not necessarily a bad thing and can indeed offer benefits.

But to make such proclamations when one has not had the same experiences and deal with the type of equipment I have for the last 20 years is downright rude. I would not presume to tell anyone here that how they wire High-bay lighting, process MCC's or a factory for that matter (all types of installations where I have no experience) is "unsupported" and "anecdotal."

Again, if one cares to carefully review the topics where we have had this discussion before, the main things I need to make clear here are:

One, my position is based on the use of MW branch circuits only in my line of work;

Two, any details I have related are NOT unsupported or anecdotal, thay are the facts in the situations I have encountered;

Three, I have in the past and again reiterate that since each of us works in different areas of electrical installations, that what works (or doesn't) for me will or won't work for others.

Tony, if it scares you so much then by all means don't use the method, for those of us who do use it and never have problems with it, we will continue to do so.

It's not a matter of scared, it's a matter of providing the best possible performance to my clients. And if it works for others, so be it. I have no arguement with it.

Your bad experiences can probably be attributed more to sorry workmanship of the installer(s)than to the wiring method itself.

Nope, have to disagree here. Out of all the cases (50+ and counting) I've dealt with, only two were workmanship issues. One was a poorly made connection, another was overloading due to sloppy phase placement.

I am no fan of multi wire circuits, being used just for the purpose of saving a few bucks, but that does not make them bad, or dangerous to install, they have their place, and i would use them without worry, the problems usually arise, when they are installed by someone that does not understand them.

LK, well said. [Linked Image]

Obsaleet also made good points.

We all have our hot button issues, and I think we all know what mine is. [Linked Image]

Stupid should be painful.
#73858 01/04/07 02:09 AM
I
Nope, have to disagree here. Out of all the cases (50+ and counting) I've dealt with, only two were workmanship issues. One was a poorly made connection, another was overloading due to sloppy phase placement.

Tony IMO you are mistaken, your equipment can not tell the difference between a properly wired two wire circuit and a properly wired multi-wire.

It is impossible.

Draw the circuits, from source to load and figure out how it can possibly make a difference.

You have put blinders on.

But to each their own, some people also believe in ghosts. [Linked Image]

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 01-04-2007).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#73859 01/04/07 02:37 AM
E
e57 Offline
Mean to tell me you don't?????? Believe in ghosts....

Mark Heller
#73860 01/04/07 02:45 AM
I
I believe in only what can be explained with facts.

Of course that whole 'how did we get here' question is a tough one. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#73861 01/04/07 03:40 AM
E
e57 Offline
Where does (outer) space end? And whats after that? How infinate is infinate? Questions that have boggled me since I have been able to think. Also being fact based - but not without opinion - ghosts are hard to believe.

Mark Heller
#73862 01/04/07 07:05 AM
R
quote:
Your bad experiences can probably be attributed more to sorry workmanship of the installer(s)than to the wiring method itself.

Tony IMO you are mistaken, your equipment can not tell the difference between a properly wired two wire circuit and a properly wired multi-wire.

I agree with Bob, the loads wouldn't care how the power is delivered, two wire or MWBC, as a matter of fact the neutral conductor in a MWBC would even be cooler in operation if both circuits are being used (bar any additive harmonics)

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 01-04-2007).]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard