ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Maybe we need to find out more about the NASA circuit but I have seen the demo and on an unloaded motor it is significant. The saving drops to zero or even an added usage on a properly loaded motor according to consumer reports tests.

Greg Fretwell
I
The only demos I've seen are for motors with no load at all. If a product is designed properly, the motor will be sufficiently loaded that little energy savings will occur.

Don't tell that to the public. On 60 minutes quite a few years ago, they interviewed a fellow who installed one on a window shaker air conditioner. He claimed that his energy bill went down about 50% and that the window shaker had become so efficient, that he had to turn the temperature control up so he didn't get cold.

The "theater of the mind" effect.

Frank

P
There are zero savings to performing power factor correction if your not being billed for it. I have never seen a residential property with a kVAr meter to measure the reactive power.

What does work is a sine wave chopping device that will save money by cutting out part of the current going to a device. Basically shutting down a faction of every wave from the 60 cycles per second. You'll save energy but will deliver less power. A motor requires so much to do so much. Over a long time this will create unwanted heating of the motor.

G
There is a discussion going on usenet now about this and it appaers this is more than power factor correction. It actually cuts power to a lightly loaded motor like a dimmer.

Greg Fretwell
Y
Well, it says it works "in single phrase household". That must be an electrical term I'm not familiar with. I don't know if my household is "single phrase" or not. [Linked Image]

Secondly, they want your PIN number! Next thing, they'll be asking for your drivers license and Social Security. Yeah, right!

No.1 for U.K. and other country

No. 2 for France and other country

No.3 for Australia and other country

No.4 for U.S.A. & Canada and other country

No.5 for India and other country

If I live in other country, I'll be really confused!

RE those "green plug" things: I've seen those displays. I don't know if the meter was altered or not, but you could feel a significant difference in the waste heat from the motor. Here's the catch: How many of us run motors with no load on the shaft? The ad copy says the device "adjusts" the current to match the load. The ones I remember had an ammeter, and the unloaded motor drew about half as much current with the waveform-chopping device connected. What if the motor actually had a normal load on it? How much would you save then?

[This message has been edited by yaktx (edited 01-14-2007).]

[This message has been edited by yaktx (edited 01-14-2007).]

I have bought many of these boxes and have them in my home. In fact, I have so many boxes that I'm actually creating excess electricity and selling it back to the power company.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

1000BaseT,
I have bought many of these boxes and have them in my home.

There is one born every day as they say.
There is no excuse for poor design in an electrical installation.
Home-owners should seek the services of a QUALIFIED Electrician when looking to save power.

{Message edited to correct a spelling error}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 01-14-2007).]

There is one born every day as they say.

Truer words were never spoken!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard