ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 216 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#73581 01/05/07 03:54 AM
Personally,
Google has outstayed it's welcome on the Net, that is my HO.
Once it pimped itself out to any and every advertiser it could get, it is useless as a search engine.
Big money earner for it's share-holders, no good for users like you and me.
I religiously avoid Google, there was a time when you could do a decent search with Google, them days are sadly gone.

#73582 01/05/07 04:40 AM
E
e57 Offline
Randy - nicely said!

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#73583 01/05/07 08:27 AM
S
It's interesting - there are some comments that have the same basic thread:
As I am an electrician and know what I am doing it's OK to go ahead and attach the generator in an electrically equivalent manner to a coded installation, just so long as I am aware of the risks and am in control of the situation. Is that the key here?
Ann, I think you've summed up my feelings pretty well. There is electrically nothing wrong with a properly hooked up dryer backfeed for a typical small home generator- the cable can handle it, the outlet can handle it, and the breakers will protect it. The issue is that the homeowner hooks this up correctly and that the main breaker is opened before starting the generator. I don't know if we should be trusting ourselves to do this (complacency can kill, too!), but if the DIY knows what they're doing and knows the risks and carefully manually isolates himself from the grid, there is nothing inherently wrong.

The real problem we see is that of safety and risk to the linemen- I can go into one of my electrical plants and jerry-rig a temporary backfeed and feel perfectly confident, as I have complete control over every possible power source in the building and I KNOW my circuit isn't going to be accidentally energized. The lineman can tag out breakers and do everything right, but still get killed if joe homeowner (who may or may not know what they're doing) makes 1 tiny mistake. Which is why the codes are written like they are, and why we're required to stick in idiot-proof isolation devices.

[This message has been edited by SteveFehr (edited 01-05-2007).]

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard