ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#73441 01/07/07 03:12 AM
E
e57 Offline
"Mark [E57] usually writes thier, or recepticle."

Right and left fingers spell on thier own (see I did it again) - they have the "i before e, except after c" rule trained right into the movement. The later I have no excuse other than - 'you know what I mean...'

And receptacles - believe it or not is a word miss-spelled by many more than just us here - google a few variations....

Results 1 - 10 of about 65,500 for recepticles. (0.79 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 24,800 for recepticals. (0.14 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 912 for receptacals. (0.38 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 5,430,000 for receptacles [definition]. (0.05 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 141 for reseptacles. (0.14 seconds)

Feel lucky I dont write phonetically, like say Anthony Burgess, or Irvine Welsh as there are moments that my old Boston accent rears it ugly head.... Start sounding like James Cagney..... Kneah mon, dunt kear how yeah spellit.... [Linked Image]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#73442 01/07/07 05:40 AM
Mike,reference {!. or ?.} - not bad, or even as far as I can tell wrong, just a "signature". Denise and I went to the same primary school, where the much feared Mrs Turner, of hated memory, instilled that "an exclamation or question mark already has a full stop.", reinforcing her dictum with a wooden ruler welted across one's knuckles. Pavlov again! So, it all depends on who taught you and when. Fashions in language change with every generation- the latest fad I hate is the ridiculous reply "I'm good!" if you ask someone if they would like a coffee!

...this forum looks rather dyslectic.

Wolfgang, dyslexia; from Greek: dys = bad, and Greek: lexis = word:
Acute difficulty in reading and spelling caused by a condition in the brain. We must all have this condition to a certain extent, since we continue to misspell words even after being corrected.
The correct spelling is dyslexic, BTW! [Linked Image]

Rod; yes, it's fashion rearing its colourful head again! [ Notice the correct difference between it's and its, in terms of abbreviation and ownership? ]. Anything French being considered fashionable just at the point [18C-19C] when spelling became important for mass printing. As Mark has pointed out, Webster went one way [ie. traditional], we went the other, led by the same sort of control-freaks who are forcing PC down our gullets today.

Fingers crossed, no mistakes!

Alan

Edit mistake! Bolleaux! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 01-07-2007).]

Wood work but can't!
#73443 01/07/07 09:29 AM
W
@ Alan: Of course I checked that before, and found http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/dyslectic
telling me that there might be this (dyslexic?) variant in spelling. So for this specific topic it was sort of ideal to demonstrate the situation of the English language. In order to really be able to spell correctly you have to know some etymology, Latin and French, otherwise you get lost.

@ Trumpy: "generator" in Latin is the guy who by means of his "testes" generates a new generation. It does not tell you anything about AC or DC. In German the word "Alternator" is unknown. Latin "alternare" means "to change", to "switch forward and back" but not to generate in any form.

[This message has been edited by Wolfgang (edited 01-07-2007).]

#73444 01/07/07 10:04 AM
I
Why should he have had to pay me to do what any high school graduate should have been able to do on their own?

People are different, not everyone picks up spelling and grammar as well as others.

People that know me are often surprised by memory about my job, the code or the trades in general.

I can tell you circuit numbers from jobs I did long ago, I can remember all kinds of methods and materials. But I can not remember when to use 'than or then' or how to spell receptacles.

I can recognize the manufacturer of a piece of equipment but I can not put a name to a persons face.

I try to use correct spelling and grammar but the fact that I goof up is not going to keep me from posting. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#73445 01/07/07 12:55 PM
P
I type as I was taught at school to use punctuation marks.
Interesting. I was always taught that if a sentence ends with a question mark or exclamation point, then you should not add a period as well. I wonder if this is a Kiwi thing?

Here's another punctuation issue which seems to divide opinion. Look at these two sentences:

"The sky is blue," he said.

"The sky is blue", he said.

I would always write it the first way, with the comma inside the quote, but some people maintain that it should be the second way.

Why is it that Generators are called this when applied to AC Alternators?.

An alternator is a generator. My understanding of the terms:

Alternator = A device which produces alternating current

Dynamo = A device which produces direct current (albeit commutated power which looks like AC with every other half-cycle reversed)

Generator = A general term which can refer to either an AC or DC-producing machine.

Thus an alternator is a generator, but a generator is not necessarily an alternator.

#73446 01/07/07 01:03 PM
P
While on the subject of spelling and grammar, when I lived in Lincolnshire there was a school in a nearby town which was called the King Edward VI Grammar School. Outside one of the entrances was a beautiful polished brass plaque. It looked very nice, except for the fact that it said "King Edward VI Grammer School." Oh dear! Not a very good advertisement for a school!

I have no idea if the signs are still there or not, but many moons ago on the outskirts of north London you could drive along a road and watch the spelling change at each intersection. In some places it was "Wagon Road" and in others "Waggon Road." (It used to join up with Stag Hill, for any English readers familiar with the Cockfosters area.)

#73447 01/08/07 10:59 PM
Y
I once worked in a plant where the foreman handed out printed decals for all of the electricians to put on their tool carts. The one he handed to me had my name, the designation of the part of the plant, and "Electricans". I informed him I was not going to put that label on my cart, lest people think I can't spell my own occupation.

And no, spell check is not a solution.

#73448 01/09/07 07:45 AM
S
i always spell rite! Well, at least when posting from home. Stupid restrictions at the office [Linked Image]
http://www.iespell.com/

#73449 01/11/07 07:33 PM
T
Mark Twain has been quoted as saying the following:
"Anyone who can only think of one way to spell a word obviously lacks imagination."
"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way."
Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)

Having been a very poor speller all of my life I appreciate this enlightened attitude.

#73450 01/13/07 04:10 PM
T
Xenonkurzbogenlampe = Xenon lamp (I may have that spelled wrong..)

No, perfectly correct.
They did shorten the translation quite a bit... fully translated it would be Xenon short arc lamp. Xenon lamp in german would be Xenonlampe.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard