ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 237 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#73431 01/02/07 03:14 AM
E
I'll cast my two cents on this issue.

there's a diference between "coloquial" english and "formal" english. first let me say that I'm in an Advanced Placement English class, and enjoy, and one of my foremost hobbies is reading literature. if I was writing an esay or formal paper, I would use "formal" grammer, spelling, and syntax, however in everyday usage spelling and grammer mistakes are just fine, and actually often become commonly used enough to become "proper" I think we can all agree that this is a social, unformal forum, so why focus on good spelling and grammer as long as everyone can understand.
it's of course diferent when interacting with customers, as spelling mistakes look unprofesional.

as for the "looking at boxes of them every day" just because we look at something, or use something every day does not mean we pay attention to, or absorb it, i.e. who here, can tell me without looking, what markings a Carlon Non-Metallic old work box has?

dat jus' be my oh-so humble opin-e-on
-Will

#73432 01/05/07 07:20 PM
I can usually identify posters by their spelling or grammar without looking at the name. Mark [E57] usually writes thier, or recepticle. Mike [Trumpy] practically always double-punctuates a question or exclamation mark with a full stop or comma, [!. or ?,], and likes to use new lines a lot, like;
Now,

This is all part of how we try to write at speed to keep up with the flow of thought. It's of no importance at all if it's comprehensible. Me? I try to use American spellings as far as possible, so as to not grate on the majority of readers, and I have a habit of using 2 full stops after abreviations, like etc.., one for the abreviation, and one to end the sentence. Just part of being brainwashed at school, [ getting caned for getting it the slightest bit wrong ], I guess, just like Pavlov's dogs!

Wood work but can't!
#73433 01/05/07 09:05 PM
Broom Pusher and

Recepticles

I like this spelling of Receptacles, as it implies they like to be tickled!
[Linked Image]

< enter wav file of cheesy snare roll >
Taaah-Takka, Caaa-Takka-Takkaa... T-TahhK!!!
< end cheesy snare roll >
... end the roll with a nice heavy Flam!

... Thank you Ladies and Gentlemen, now for my next number...

Just wanted to throw in the cheese-related tickle thing!

Scott35
AKA: The Public Enemy #1 Spelling and Grammer Offender!
(Worst in Spelling, Grammer, etc. of the ECN Members!).

p.s. Anyone want to hear the antiquated "Tickle-Me Elmo" joke?
It's a real bag-O' cheese!

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#73434 01/06/07 05:27 AM
That's cheesier than er... cheese! But tickle away, with another one,
Scott!.
Now,
How do you tell if a girl is ticklish?.
Why, you just see if a couple of test tickles makes her laugh!. [Linked Image]

Wood work but can't!
#73435 01/06/07 10:31 AM
W
Well, I must confess, from a German point of view, this forum looks rather dyslectic.

#73436 01/07/07 01:14 AM
R
Thanks pauluk for you detailed reply.

We have an interesting discussion going on here.

Colour, must be that bit of french in me to spell it that way.
Same applies to the other spelling.

This thread should have been called SPELLING WORDS [Linked Image] instead of receptacles.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
#73437 01/07/07 01:29 AM
E
Great input to my original post. Thank you very much for your insight. I still have to ask the question though:

In order to graduate from high school in the United States, we are required to prove (through testing) that we understand and can communicate using "American" English. This means that we should be able to spell correctly.

Nobody is required to attend college here in the U.S.; it is completely optional. Everyone here must complete twelve years of free education where basic math, spelling and common sense are instilled.

It just seems crazy that the handful of items that we as contractors or installers deal with on a regular basis are so difficult to spell. I once got a promotion and a raise from my boss and part of my job was to correct errors on handwritten invoices. Why should he have had to pay me to do what any high school graduate should have been able to do on their own?

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
#73438 01/07/07 02:15 AM
N
["Nobody is required to attend college here in the U.S.; it is completely optional. Everyone here must complete twelve years of free education where basic math, spelling and common sense are instilled."]

Common sense??? I suspect that what is being produced in todays public schools,they would not have the good sense to find their way out of a wet paper bag.

#73439 01/07/07 02:52 AM
Alan,
Mike [Trumpy] practically always double-punctuates a question or exclamation mark with a full stop or comma, [!. or ?,], and likes to use new lines a lot, like;
Now,
And how exactly is that a problem?.
Alan, I'm not taking you to task or anything, I type as I was taught at school to use punctuation marks.
Imagine, if I never used punctuation marks at all?.
{There we go again}. [Linked Image]
A question-mark occurs at the end of a sentence that asks a question, which requires a full-stop after the question mark.
Double punctuation it might be, but have you ever seen any literary efforts where the full stop (period, to you American folks) has been left out at the end of a sentence?.

#73440 01/07/07 03:12 AM
One other thing,
Why is it that Generators are called this when applied to AC Alternators?.
Generators generate rectified DC.
With a commutator to effect the rectification.
People say that they have thier own Generator feeding thier house, does that mean that they are feeding thier house with DC?.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard