ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 278 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#73187 12/19/06 09:19 PM
Here's a story from yesterday:

I get home, and am bored. I decide to go under the house and cut out the old Central A/C Cable. It's no longer used, and the cable is disconnected from the panel. I go under, wire cutters in hand. I get most of it, and get to stripping it. What I find, is startling, if not scary. The insulation on this 8/2NM (with No12 Ground) is scorched and black, right where it was stapled up. I save that insulation, and strip the rest.

Now here's the good part:

Right at sundown, my neighbor walks over and says, "Ian what 'ya doing?" I tell her what I'm doing, and decide to show her the cable. (Now, I think the park guys did it when the A/C was installed onsite back in the 70s, on account of the cable not in the sub-floor, and the breaker in the old panel a different variety. I don't think an HO or handyman did it since the cable itself was the same brand as the rest, though.) She sees it, I explain it to her, and guess what she does?

She asks me if I know any electricians to recommend. I give her the name of one I know, and she called 'em right up. She has an inspection of her house scheduled for Thursday.

Just something that made me happy on a Monday Afternoon.

Ian A.
(Hmm, I wonder if the Zinsco on the pedestal and the GE Skinnies that used to be in the old panel had anhything to do with this?...)

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
#73188 12/20/06 02:55 AM
R
Ian:

I would say thats a good thing you stumbled on that and made your neighbour aware. There may be a few more places like yours with cables burning up if the same installer used the same brand of cable and fastened the cable up the same way.

Couple questions though.. Was it all burnt only at one staple / strap or was the cable burning at every point at which it was stapled / strapped?
Also, you mentioned " G.E skinny" breakers. What comes to mind are G.E "THQP" type... I am just curious as a friend of mine just bought a place and it has these breakers installed. Are they of the " no trip" design or prone to failure???
Just curious..

A.D

#73189 12/20/06 07:57 AM
It was burned at every staple. As for the breakers, the electrician that came out said, "If that main didn't fry that 30amp double skinny breaker would've let your house burn down." (And that thing got hot!) I know people say good about them sometimes, but I do not.

Ian A.

[This message has been edited by Theelectrikid (edited 02-04-2007).]

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Link Copied to Clipboard