ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Nothing wrong with aluminum, just as long as you have your Noalox handy. [Linked Image]

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

E
I think this thread is getting way off-topic

the use of AL for large-size feeders has been debated many times on this forum. We don't need to get into it here.

for the underground LV stuff I think it would not work at all, considering the connectors usually tap the insulation of the wire, and AL turns to white powder real qick with even a small hole in it I don't think an installation in this manner would survive more than a couple weeks

just MHO
-Will

E
Wow, I am surprised at all of the bad vibes about using aluminum. Our POCOs here use 100% aluminum, all the way down to #6 for street lights.

The key in using aluminum is installing it properly. If the backfill is clean and the splices/terminations are done correctly, it works. That's just it......Getting it installed correctly.

No direct burial cable is safe from dig-ups. Most failures result from nicks (planting a bush for example). The cable gets a nick from a shovel but nobody says anything and just tapes it (if anything) and buries it. Even copper DB will fail if nicked.

I get the impression that you are looking at some long runs or you wouldn't have asked the question. You can't get aluminum any smaller than #6 anyway, but I would imagine that you'd need that size or more. You certainly can't use the standard tap connectors usually used in LV lighting. You would need to use dual-rated terminals, preferrably Hypress type that provide a copper-equivalent termination. By the time you invest in the terminals and the tooling, you might not be saving any money by using aluminum.

On a good note, aluminum wire fails much more quickly when it has been damaged than copper when direct-buried. Usually, troubleshooting to locate the fault is pretty simple. I did my time servicing an apartment complex that used 100% aluminum that had been nicked and damaged since the day it was installed. I must say that it's predictable.

[This message has been edited by EV607797 (edited 12-18-2006).]

[This message has been edited by EV607797 (edited 12-18-2006).]

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard