ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#7291 01/30/02 12:30 AM
E
Elzappr Offline OP
Does anyone here that does romex work use the new clips that are available to secure romex? Sorry I don't have the brand name and nomenclature, but after I saw one of those white plastic 'multigang' thingamajigs at Home Depot, I checked my code book, and it didn't require "staples", but also included other fittings "designed and installed so as not to damage the cable."
Considering my experience in burn't out wiring at ceiling light outlets, it seems to me that such a clip wouldn't prevent the continued roasting and carbonizing of the cable, whereas staples apparently press the cable against the wood enough to act as a decent heat sink.
I'm just wondering if any region of the country is using such devices, or if there is some trade, or inspector, resistance to the use of such things.

[This message has been edited by Elzappr (edited 01-29-2002).]

#7292 01/30/02 06:31 AM
S
Elzappr,
I call them 'stackers', i get the 3M version, they were born of a code in 96? .
Once set up, they save a lot of time, great for trunk line home runs, etc.... [Linked Image]

(D) Cables and Raceways Parallel to Framing Members. In both exposed and concealed locations, where a cable- or raceway-type wiring method is installed parallel to framing members, such as joists, rafters, or studs, the cable or raceway shall be installed and supported so that the nearest outside surface of the cable or raceway is not less than 32 mm (11/4 in.) from the nearest edge of the framing member where nails or screws are likely to penetrate. Where this distance cannot be maintained, the cable or raceway shall be protected from penetration by nails or screws by a steel plate, sleeve, or equivalent at least 1.6 mm (1/16 in.) thick.
Exception No. 1: Steel plates, sleeves, or the equivalent shall not be required to protect rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, rigid nonmetallic conduit, or electrical metallic tubing.
commentary....
The intent of 300.4(D) is to prevent mechanical damage to cables and raceways from nails and screws. The Code offers two means of protection. The first method is to fasten the cable or raceway so that it is 11/4 in. from the edge of the framing member. This requirement generally applies to exposed and concealed work. The second method permits the cable or raceway to be installed closer than 11/4 in. from the edge of the framing member if physical protection, such as a steel plate or a sleeve, is provided.
As stated in Exception No. 1, this requirement does not apply to rigid metal conduit, rigid nonmetallic conduit, intermediate metal conduit, or electrical metallic tubing wiring methods because these methods provide physical protection for the conductors.

Exception No. 2: For concealed work in finished buildings, or finished panels for prefabricated buildings where such supporting is impracticable, it shall be permissible to fish the cables between access points.

#7293 01/30/02 01:53 PM
E
Elzappr Offline OP
Thanks Sparky,I can see the worth of the "stackers" when running multiple cables along the side of joists or studs, when used judiciously. I was surprized to see them used on top of joists in an attic space (well away from the entrance hole) recently. It looked like Homer Homeowner could easily abuse the wiring with the wires stacked up away from the wood surface. Additionally, the code requires that the cables be run close to the wood 336-6(a), and such stackers appear to violate that requirement. Anybody have trouble passing inspection using them?

#7294 01/30/02 06:10 PM
J
I have not had any problems using the stackers. I use them for multiple home runs or for switches. The inspector never questioned 336-6. I will check later.

#7295 01/30/02 10:49 PM
W
I use stackers extensively in residential and commercial buildings (where local codes allow NM to be used). Inspectors who have seen them love them and ask me why everyone doesn't use them.

Link Copied to Clipboard