ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
RockyJo Offline OP
Okay,

We live in North Texas, actually a little Harper Valley PTA, type of town. Although, growing year by year. IE: North of Frisco, Texas.

I have done work in DFW area for 30 years. Now I am doing work in the North Texas area.

I have always gotten along with City Inspectors. You have to try to get along with them even when you disagree . We have a Inspector in ******, Texas. He has had his Masters for about nine years and also a Contractor in this town. He Inspects and releases his own work to the Power Company. Not sure if he is a Licensed Insector, remember this is a very small town. My only dealings with him are basically new residential and remodel. The only thing I have been RED TAGGED ON is, I do not use enough staples. Granted he is only paid $20.00 per Inspection. He never Green Tags anyone(to my Knowledge) on the first Inspection.

My Question as an example:

On a 1450 sq ft. Home, is 1500-2000 staples enough? All staples are in the wall, none in the attic. Per the Inspector.

The Houses I have wired in the past (up to 8000 sq ft., with 400 amp service) I used bascially the same amount of of staples or more.

Seems odd it is the only thing he can get me on. FYI: The Inspector and myself are the only two Masters in this town or area.

Is this a conflict? Should an Inspector be allowed to Inspect his own work?

Signed:

RockyJo in a small and growing town in North Texas!

If that's not a conflict, I don't know what is. If stapling is all he ever gets you on, it sounds like the man has a problem.
HMEL #688

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
S
I do electrical design work, that would be like me checking my own drawings. That's never a good thing to do. You could make the same mistakes over and over.
Little different situation, but same principal.

E
Hi !WOW! i live in rhode island a city inspector, is not allowed to work in that city so he cant inspect his own work.

i would like to inspect my own work nice

joe

Unless your town or state has adopted its own code, then as long as your staples are within 12" of a metal box, 8" of a plastic box, and fastened at least every 54", then there is no violation.

In L'burg WV, it is common knowledge that all you need is double the amount of staples and have smoke detectors in the right places (as per CABO) and you'll pass...

No the AHJ is not an electrical inspector, just a building inspector.

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI

Link Copied to Clipboard