ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#72443 11/29/06 01:10 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Why do people keep getting suckered into buying this stuff? [Linked Image]
http://www.russandrews.com/

Some examples from the U.K. selection:

Ring Main cable - £7 per ft., and it improves pictures as well as sound!

The Silver Classic PowerKord - A snip at £945 for a 6 ft. cord.

Monocle-X Speaker Cable - £587 for 8 feet.

Th e Ultra PurifierBlock - An 8-way power strip, which seems to be capable of ending all the problems of the world.... £550

If you're feeling more ambitious, you could always try attacking the wiring in your house with the "expert" advice on the site:

How to lower your mains impedance

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 11-29-2006).]

#72444 11/29/06 02:42 PM
Z
IT's what the market will bear, not what a fair price is, that drives absurd pricing such as this.

There are a lot of people with more money than brains. You'll appreciate that when you work for one of them!

#72445 11/29/06 06:53 PM
R
Sankeoil??? I guess I'll never get that £2,000 back. [Linked Image]

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#72446 11/30/06 08:57 AM
S
That $25 TOS-link cable has improved the digital fidelity of my stereo WAY more than the digital hookup from that $2 RCA cable I had sitting around! Yessiree, the quality of those 1s and 0s is absolutely unambigious now, that's money well spent, you can hear the diference!!!!!

Man, look at the quality of this BS though, you really gotta hand it to them, they're skilled at it:
When you’ve upgraded your mains cables and extensions all the way back to your wall socket, you’ll know how big the improvements in performance can be. Now do it to the cable that runs from your consumer unit (fuse box) to the wall socket and prepare to be amazed!
So think about it… you get KIMBER’s Radio Frequency Interference-cancelling weave, to lower distortion. You get the fantastic Silver plated WATTGATE 350iAg IEC plug, for a low resistance connection. And then you get the wonderfully natural sound that comes from using the finest purity silver. Plus, it looks absolutely gorgeous, too!
I hear solid gold bus bars and stabs in the breaker panel decrease EMI better than the solid silver ones I've got now. Can anyone confirm??

[This message has been edited by SteveFehr (edited 11-30-2006).]

#72447 11/30/06 08:57 PM
G
One of the guys at school today told me about some bottled water he had recently saw at GNC. It was $3+ for a 16 ounce bottle. He then went to the clerk and asker what was so psecial about the water that it carried a $3+ price tag. The clerk went into some spiel about the water had more oxygen in it than other bottled water on the store shelves.

The question now is How do you get more oxygen in water? It's already H2O. If you add any more O to it, wouldn't it be closer to Hydorgen Peroxide, which is H2O2?

The junk they will tell people to pay for water. The sad part is some people don't know better.

"If common sense was common, everyone would have it"-not sure, someone here

#72448 11/30/06 09:05 PM
W
Now do it to the cable that runs from your consumer unit (fuse box) to the wall socket and prepare to be amazed!

Ordinary AC cable has some (not all, but some) of the properties of balanced audio signal cable. Basically, AC's current carrying wires are a twisted pair which in turn has an outer conductive shield around the pair. The twists would tend to cancel out magnetic field leakage, and the conductive shield stops electrostatic leakage from getting out. Less noise getting into the "air" and in turn into the audio equipment.

Of course you gotta get the low oxygen copper and cyro'd aluminium jacket AC.... [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by wa2ise (edited 11-30-2006).]

#72449 11/30/06 10:35 PM
S
Well, to be fair, you DO get a lot of EMI coupled into power lines, and that EMI can find its way into speaker cables and to your speaker. So, if you discovered a clever way to braid the cables so that you could filter out unwanted frequencies... it still wouldn't do jack squat! You can't filter out audible frequencies without destroying the sound you want, and it's utterly pointless to filter out the ones you can't hear! IDIOTS!

Who was it that said "A fool and his money are soon parted." ?

[This message has been edited by SteveFehr (edited 11-30-2006).]

#72450 12/01/06 10:26 AM
K
Well done paul for finding that site. It realy made me smile.

How on earth is the HiFi world going to survive once the new regs come in force and all sockets are on a RCD after all
A small number of customers have had difficulties with Electricians who have insisted that RCDs must be fitted instead of the standard isolator switch when installing dedicated Hi-Fi consumer units and ring mains.

But this has to be my fav page TEAC CD/DAB Receiver CR-H255DAB My PC can do all that. Its 4 years old (so worth about £50 as spare parts) can pick up radio as far away as Austrailia, lets me chat to you guys ohh and it has pictures

Kenny

der Großvater
#72451 12/01/06 10:31 AM
K
Forgot to say. Remember when out there working, keep it
Hyper-pure

Kenny

der Großvater
#72452 12/01/06 01:50 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
A small number of customers have had difficulties with Electricians who have insisted that RCDs must be fitted instead of the standard isolator switch when installing dedicated Hi-Fi consumer units and ring mains.
What's worrying on that page is that I believe it might encourage some people to just replace a main RCD with a D.P. switch regardless.

I agree with the the point made about misinterpretation of the RCD requirements, but how about homes on a TT supply which absolutely need RCD protection on all circuits to provide proper protection against ground faults?

And what on earth is the point in suggesting a dedicated ring circuit to feed one outlet? Two sets of 2.5 conductors to one point? You might just as well run a radial with 6mm cable if you really want to keep the impedance of the circuit as low as possible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard