ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 250 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#72423 11/29/06 09:29 AM
A
ayrton Offline OP
I know all of you who are self employed have probably been dealing with this issue for years. I recently purchased two main breaker square d panels for reasonable price from a large distributor in my area. The General panel had all the breakers I needed. The HVAC panel, when I ordered it I only new the one size circuit I needed.
Now the panels are installed and I have the rest of the circuits, and I need to buy the breakers. THE BREAKERS COST MORE THAN THE ORIGINAL PANEL WITH A MAIN!!!
They are telling me it would be cheaper to buy a new panel with the breakers in it.
I am tired of this crap. This is what happens with lack of competition.

S
They do that on purpose, they know full well they can charge you whatever the hell they want to once you've bolted that panel to the wall and make money hand over fist. So, whatever they can do to get you to buy THEIR panel is what goes... Competition is what created this situation. Otherwise, the bundled panel with breakers would be just outragous.

I
ITO Offline
This has been a common gear manufacturer model for many years.

1) Next time buy extra breakers with the panel, if you think you will need them.
2) Always save loose breakers you come across.
3) If you build a shell building, order your panels full of breakers then keep the breakers and leave the panels empty. When the finish-out contracts go out, you will have an advantage in bidding because you already have the breakers everyone else will have buy and add to their bids.
4) On big contracts set up a purchase agreement in the PO for loose spare breakers for that contact only.

This is just how this business works. If you want to talk about who the real con artists are, try to get unit prices on light fixtures.

[This message has been edited by ITO (edited 11-29-2006).]

101° Rx = + /_\
M
I used to find that, that particular manufacturer was keener on doing that than the competition. That was three thats in one sentence.

Tom Offline
For sure, anyone who has been buying factory assembled panels knows to fill them up with spares. I usually pull a breaker or two out of each panelboard if possible so that I have a nice collection on the shelf in my shop.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
I
Recently we needed quite few bus duct switches.

It was cheaper for us to buy bus duct with the switches and throw the bus duct away.

It killed me to see bus duct still in the crates thrown in the dumpster.

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 11-29-2006).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
D
It killed me to see bus duct still in the crates thrown in the dumpster.

It kills me to hear of this, since I just spent $600/20' section to buy it.

R
I just bought a new laser printer because it was cheaper than buying toner for it. [Linked Image]

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
I've been known to toss many inkjet printers for the same reason. $40 a cartridge (and I need two! B&W and color.) or a $30 printer?

Decisions, decisions...

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
E
Needed a 100amp DP Cutler Hammer Push-on style breaker....$85
125amp panel -24 spaces with the exact same breaker included....$25 ???

Huh?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard