ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 184 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
G
I am always looking in my wife's construction dumpsters and I do come up with amazing stuff now and then. I am particularly drawn to wire. A year or so ago it was not uncommon to find most of a box of coax or cat 5 that "bird nested" on the installer and they didn't want to screw with it. Once I found about 300 feet of "flooded" phone cable in a wad. I also would find 20 or 30 feet of Romex or MC. These days I am not seeing anything. I wasn't sure if it was just scrap scavengers or if the electricians were saving it.
I like 12 and 14 copper for all sorts of things around the shop. Sometimes I even run electricity through it [Linked Image]

Greg Fretwell
E
Must be the price of copper.

W
I have spool upon spool of #12,14,16 THHN with small amounts of wire on them. I save them for a job where I have to extend a circuit a short distance. I generally get disgusted though and clean out the really short ones when the pile gets to big [Linked Image]

S
Same here Walrus. I generally keep any piece 5 feet or longer and bring a box of small pieces on the job to use up. Shorter pieces are given to a relative who's a "copper hound", and I get a little kickback of cash for it now and then.

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
Our company 86's rolls of 6 and smaller when they have less than about 30-50' left on them.. Our customer has huge recycle bins for scrap wire it all goes into and gets hauled off by a metal scrapper. Bigger stuff gets saved if it's over 10'

N
I have always saved short peices of wire. I hate having to cut a 2' peice off of a full spool to connect something short. I also have a nice (huge) box of coax and cat5 scraps. I usually whip up some quick 5' or 6' patch cables and leave them with my customers when I do data installs. Cheap and easy but a real crowd pleaser.

G
I don't have as much as I did a while ago.
My wife and some of the neighborhood ladies plucked almost every piece of scrap red and green wire from the white bucket I kept it in.
Christmas decorating.

Greg Fretwell
I'll have to get a picture tomorrow of me with my "short" pieces of wire.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Link Copied to Clipboard