ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#72239 11/23/06 08:20 AM
E
At our shop we have a box of orange ID receptacles that we've collected from commercial fit-ups. Must be a few hundred in there! Wonder if we'll ever need them again?

#72240 11/23/06 11:23 AM
S
No, I understand the code, what I was stating was that taping is still slipped by with the local inspectors here. And I meant IG not dedicated grnd.

The 4-wire (insulated grnd, bare grnd, white, red, black) bx IS however insisted on for patient care.

In the banks we do around here, the spec always require IG plugs even on a system with no isolated grnd bar in the panel. When asked if the want a true IG system, they say no.

I'll usually intall an IG bar in the panel if doing the service install with a ground to the same beam as the building ground if time and $$ allows.

Westuplace, I'm sorry, we seem to have deverted your thread and I appologize.

Rewired: I'm in Ottawa.

Eddy: I gave up on hockey when they started making it a womens sport (no fighting), too boring and too long watching players constantly going to the box.

-Greg

#72241 11/27/06 03:02 AM
N
GOSH THATS Embarrassing!!!! I should not be typing late at night. I meant to say, whoever used red as a GROUND wire (without re-identifying) should be shot. Even though it may not be allowed, its less worse than just hoping people figure out that the red wire is actually a ground connection. I've known these color codes sence before I could walk. Slip of my mind, I guess. Sorry for confusion. I once worked on a PA system where the in house maint. department installed the IG outlets. They landed all the grounds on the neutral bar (no ground bar anywhere near the panel, and no bonding) and wondered why I was mad. It all got redone when the place failed an inspection. Some people think that anything that doesn't hurt when you touch it is the same thing. One of the in-house guys said to me "we don't need grounds and neutrals, they both go to the same place". Not the case.

Also, I used to play hockey when I was younger. I used to drive my coach crazy because some of the rink owners would ask me to fix scoreboard problems and such, which would *occasionally* interrupt practices. I can practically wire RG-58 connectors in my sleep.

-Ben

[This message has been edited by napervillesoundtech (edited 11-27-2006).]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard