ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 386 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#72092 11/19/06 07:49 PM
L
LK Offline
"Do we need to ask on every job if there has been changes ?? "

Yes indeed you do, we have a policy of reviewing every service upgrade, in the past year they have been inforcing the Load Data Sheets to be filed for every job, if your not filing them with the utility PSE&G or JCP&L then don't be supprised if you you get a call on a friday afternoon from a customer, telling you they are having their meter removed, the hit and run service jobs, are soon to be a thing of the past.

#72093 11/19/06 09:44 PM
K
kencr Offline OP
hit and run service jobs ??

How was it a hit and run ??

We filed the service and meter app, which included the load info as required. Followed the power companys "in writing" policy for the size service we did

Filed a drawing and permit app and got the permit

Got the job inspected and passed.

I dont know how easy it is to get a call back from the power company reps you deal with.. but I know in our area and also the Philly area where we often work its not so easy.. Seems like you always hear. "we are short handed" too many people on VK or sick leave.

Just very frustrating all around... They look at is as .. who cares .. call joe blow power company down the road.. O yes .. there is no one else .. so deal with us on our terms .. which can change daily .. and we dont have to tell when our terms change .. figure it out for yourself ..

#72094 11/21/06 10:05 AM
K
kencr Offline OP
UPDATE !!!

The power company gave us a break .. No disco required !! ( This Time )
Saves the customer big $$ and us the time from re doing the service ..
I guess even the power companys have a heart ... sometimes

#72095 11/21/06 10:11 AM
M
yeah, well go right down the road and place a bet, today is your lucky day.

I'm glad that I was wrong about the POCO, now if only JCP&L would use common sense every now and again.

#72096 11/21/06 06:26 PM
L
LK Offline
By Hit, and run I was refering to the contact with the utility company, in the past a service uppgrade, with no load change was started, and closed out, without the utility reviewing the job, now they are requiring the load data sheets, even if there is no change in load.

#72097 11/21/06 09:36 PM
Guys:
Yes, the disco before the meter has been around for a while, depending on your POCO

PSE&G has 'HOT' sequence & 'COLD' sequence requirements. 'COLD' seq. translates to the disco before the meter, allowing the meter tech to do his/her thing 'dead'. Mostly on self contained 277/480, 200 amp.

JCP&L (GPU/First Energy) IMHO changes like the wind, or maybe it depends on the Field person.

Alas, the immortal words of the Great Sage...
TALK to the POCO guy....before you get into the job!!

John

John
#72098 11/21/06 10:16 PM
N
kencr

Glad to hear itworked, although my warm sentiments are tempered by my frustration at your exact situation.

i wish they would not grant exceptions to this so called "policy" - it kills me when a client comes back and says "well contractor xyz got a a service cut in last week that didn't need this"

Don't get me wrong - if it saved me installing a 400A disco after everything was piped in, pulled and inspected i would have jumped on it the poCo's generosity.

It really stinks that this bureaucratic nonsense takes away from an otherwise enjoyable service install. Which is usually one of the more "fun" - parts of commercial work that a good mechanic enjoys.

oh well - just my 2 cents

#72099 03/02/07 05:10 PM
N
Just wondering if anyone has run into this set of circumstances recently?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard