ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 248 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#72034 11/16/06 06:19 PM
S
Here's a good one (AKA another dumb idea from a designer). For the life of me I can't find anything to make this illegal; although (IMO) it definitely falls in the dumb catagory.

We have a bathroom that is approx 12 x 12. One of the walls is made of the glass blocks that are translucent but not opaque. Our designer want a floor recep in the center of the wall approx 6" from the wall. He has some kind of lamp/light display eqpt that is designed to sit on top of a plug and hide all wires. I tried convincing him to let us put it on the block about 3" off the floor (wiremold and constr advesive) but he insists it be in the floor. It will be 8 feet or so from the tub, sink, toilet and all water sources but I still don't like the idea; somebody will drip into it. The light has no type of seal at the base. Any suggestions?

J
It's your house. If you don't want it don't let them put it in. Tell the designer you want something from the ceiling instead of the floor.

S
Problem is it's not my house, we were hired to do the electrical on this remodel. This fixture came up a bit later. The GC owes us $$ so we don't want to get the designer too upset. We're trying our best not to "just say no". If we can't convince him or find a legality we'll probably end up doing it.

Steve:
IMHO, put an appropriate, NEC compliant floor box/receptacle unit in (type of finish floor should be considered). I would install a single recept, and put it on a GFI breaker.

A nice brass cover, flip lid; or a nice plastic unit w/flip lid should make the decorator happy.

BTW, you may want to make the recept switch controled.

John

John
E
e57 Offline
I would say "Involve the Inspector" on this. And ask for his advise.... Call it a grey area.... It could be considered a "wet" environment.
Location, Wet. Installations under ground or in concrete slabs or masonry in direct contact with the earth; in locations subject to saturation with water or other liquids, such as vehicle washing areas; and in unprotected locations exposed to weather.
410.4(A) Wet and Damp Locations. Luminaires (fixtures) installed in wet or damp locations shall be installed so that water cannot enter or accumulate in wiring compartments, lampholders, or other electrical parts. All luminaires (fixtures) installed in wet locations shall be marked, “Suitable for Wet Locations.” All luminaires (fixtures) installed in damp locations shall be marked, “Suitable for Wet Locations” or “Suitable for Damp Locations.”

Also take a shot at 406.8(A) + (B)

Other than that I would shoot for the "I'm not saying NO - but looking for a safe and suitable option" response with the GC. Technically I would look into hard-wire and fixing it to the floor - and on a GFI. Stone and certain type of tile can be conductive.

But AHJ just has to wave the hand, to say "Hey - I'm not buying that one - think again" get him on your side.... It is thier interpetaion right.... Did I say that? [Linked Image]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
G
Could you talk him into building a small platform out of 4" high glass block to get it up off the floor. Flatter him and tell him you would be putting his creation up on a pedestal. Maybe suggest he leak a little light out the bottom of his lamp to light up the pedestal block.

Greg Fretwell
S
e57 you have a good point on the "or other electrical parts". I'll call the AHJ and try that. Seems like my best chance of getting rejected. (Dern, I usually try NOT to get rejected)

Link Copied to Clipboard