ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Bob:
I strongly second your post......
John

John
R
Bob and John, I third the post.

Some very good information has been lost or garbled to the extent of being lost in some forum upgrades.

The problem as I understand it is, that in some cases the security or support of the software becomes non existent and an upgrade is not an option but a necessity. [Linked Image]

Roger

Administrator
We used to have a 'Quote' button but disabled it because it was being overused. When whole posts (many including pictures) are quoted over and over again within the same thread it makes things slower and more confusing.

Although easier to use than UBB code it can make threads harder to follow if the quoted items are not pared down to specific text.

If the consensus thinks it would be better having a 'Quote' button we can try it again. What do you think?

Bill

Administrator
Hey Iwire, another question for ya, man. My old post count showed around 65 or so, but now my post count shows only 8 and that I'm a "newcomer". What gives?
Beachboy,

According to records you registered in Sept. and first post was on 9/15/06. Are you saying that you've made around 65 posts since then?

D
Bill, my opinion would be if you had a quote button, the amount of work on the moderators would increase trying to slim down the quotes.

I think it should be up to them, as they would be the ones fixing posts.

FWIW, the mods do a great job now, I'd hate to see them overworked.

W
WFO Offline OP
WFO is an ignoramus

Hey wait! That didn't work....it left out the not! [Linked Image]

C
LMAO...good one [Linked Image]

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
P
When whole posts (many including pictures) are quoted over and over again within the same thread it makes things slower and more confusing.

Unfortunately, I see that quite often in some of the Yahoo groups (posts by e-mail). Some people just hit "reply" and quote everything from the previous post, including headers, footers, and the whole works. That really makes for some long messages, especially when several people have done the same thing in succession and messages end up with the original quote, the quote of the quote, etc., as well as a half dozen group headers and footers.

I'd be happy to give the feature a try if Bill and the other mods. are agreeable, but I think we would need to be fairly strict on asking people to edit quoted text down to the relevant portions.

W
I use the quote feature quite often on other boards, I like it. It makes it easier to respond to comments but I agree with Bill that if one quotes the whole text and not the specific comment it gets old.

My latest way is, [ not my idea, someone on ECN suggested this some time back in a thread about spelling and grammar]-
Minimise the ECN page.
Write post in Word, spell check, then Copy to clipboard. Get back to ECN, go to Edit, select Paste and Bobs your Auntie it’s writ. Do a quick scan to final check, then submit. I do this routinely on French boards, since I have a QWERTY keyboard and need to do all thésè çôntinêntal bîts.
I have a Word file with
, [img]…my photobucket…[/img] etc. to make write-ups easier.
As for a ‘quote’ button, this is a problem on one French site, with whole posts being repeated and then a three word comment at the end! Most annoying!

Alan
Blimey! That must be one of the shortest 'quotes' ever on ECN!
perhaps better to deliberately write;
[QU*TE]....[/QU*TE] in an example?

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 11-06-2006).]

Wood work but can't!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard