ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 284 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#7156 01/24/02 05:49 PM
N
Greetings to all [Linked Image] I would like to request some feedback from all members as to how many times you have taken your Master Exams before passing. I have several friends that are EC's and everyone I have talked to so far who has their license has taken the exam a minimum of three times before receiving a passing score. I am asking because I took mine for the second time a couple of weeks ago and found out today that I failed once again [Linked Image] I am beginning to become a bit discouraged and would appreciate any input you guys want to give. One of my friends seems to think that there is an elaborate conspiracy dedicated solely to not allowing anyone to get their contractors license before their third sitting [Linked Image]
Thanks, Andrew
PS. I have been in the trade for ten years and done a little of everything four years residential (all sides), four commercial, two inustrial

#7157 01/24/02 09:12 PM
Hmmmm... Three times for me too...

(third time's the charm?)

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#7158 01/24/02 09:17 PM
E
One time worked for me fortunately. The test was hard enough once!

#7159 01/24/02 09:32 PM
A
Thank god 1 time was enough for me. Would not want to try it twice.
The best thing I did was too take a course in Tom Henry's class, Some might agree, or disagree, but when it come to the Blocks and Assoc. test he knows what he was talking about. I dont work for him, nor did I get paid to say this, but it's true.
I remember one guy in the same time I took mine, and the only book he had was the Handbook (not allowed), and he had to take the test without a book of any kind. Could you imagine how he felt.... Out of about 15 people taking the test only two of us passed that day. Not very high statistics.
GOOD LUCK....

#7160 01/25/02 12:06 AM
G
For the people that has took it the first time that is great if you passed. The only reason that I have passed several first times is WAY BEFORE THE INTERNET with great people like Mike holt and Joe Tedesco and many others that you may not have heard about yet. If I had my choice I would love to re-do that again ! ... I think that everyone in this trade should really understand the code and then look at some old code books and check it out ... But what bothers me is the big companys come out with a new product and it cost alot and they have a billion and three dollars to make it a code. I have been wiring bazillions of units since the 70's and I have yet to get a callback.. untill the gfi's came along.... PUSH THE RESET BUTTON lol ... but all I can say is from what I have seen the people that really want to be in this trade will not give up even if they do pass thier test and always learn more. Thank all of you for this website... I am so glad that it is alive ! " Whyrag "

#7161 01/25/02 08:11 AM
T
Andrew, I live in Fl and I know people who took the test and had high 90 scores and people who took it and took it and took it. I took it twice. The Head of the Electrical Dept. in our county who was responsible for issuing new procedures took it SIX times. That was during his period of employment. I believe it is a "Block" test still (testing company) and I believe they help in making it dfficult for their own reasons. Talking with other people who have taken the test it seems they can keep the Master population down by regulating the testing difficulty.

Sorry you did not pass. You will just keep hanging in there. You know the material, I'm sure, so (until you run out of money paying for the retest) hang in there.

Tom, Naples.

One more thing: I know some extremely good electricians who cannot take a test. Not saying you are that way but just know that not passing a test does not diminish how good an electrician you are.

#7162 01/25/02 09:36 AM
F
Don't feel alone. It's a very difficult exam. Prepare so time is not a factor. Keep at it. You will pass. Be very familiar with the location of the various tables. Take practice exams if you can. Much material is available online. Repetition is most helpful. I doubt if there is such a conspiracy concerning the test. I suggest you over prepare (is there is such a thing) and go in to the test room with a positive attitude.

#7163 01/25/02 11:27 AM
gary long:

Thanks for your kind words -- they were a reminder for me -- "BC & BI" -- "BEFORE COMPUTERS" & "BEFORE INTERNET"

I was always interested in the code, and I still have my first copy of the 1965 edition, you should see some of my collection of early code books, they all look like the rainbow because of the notes in red and yellow, and even in green for grounding.

What I am trying to get at, is that I always sat and read the code. I can honestly say that I read it cover to cover over 20 times during the 1968 through the 1978 edition, that probablly was the reason I was sure that I would pass my electrician's licenses, many electrical inspector's tests back then, and like Frank said I always had a positive attitude.

Another way to learn where the rules are located is to take the index and put it in the front of the book. This is easier when you have the looseleaf version, but can be accomplished if you want.

I am aware of some cities, states, and the testing agencies that do not allow use of a code book during the test, but disagree with that very much, although using blank pages do serve well for notes when they can be found in between the covers, or at the rear.

Study and Study Hard, you will pass for sure!!

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 01-25-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#7164 01/25/02 05:03 PM
W
I passed the second time. You don't have to memorize the book,(I'm amazed Joe T. did),but you have to know what is in the book and where to find it quick. They don't allow enough time for uncertainty.

#7165 01/25/02 08:44 PM
R
I have never taken the block test. When we were tested, you registered in the City you wanted to have your base license. My base is Dallas, TX. They may have had a conspiracy at that time. I believe a block test is a good test. It gives everyone a equal opportunity to pass. If you do not pass a test, it does not mean you do know what you are doing.

Go into the test with a positive attitude, be calm, and take the test. If you do not pass,keep trying. I took the test, three times before passing. THREE TIMES! Keep up with the code changes. Electrical work is in the most part common sense. Safety first!

If you can go home and sleep at night knowing you did a good job, great!

FYI: Once you get the license, DO NOT LET THEM EXPIRE!

When I am retired and greeting people at a Walmart, I WILL STILL HAVE A CURRENT LICENSE!

RockyJo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard