ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 226 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#71232 10/24/06 09:00 PM
J
Take advantage of Email and the Web. Established customers would be able to email you parts lists for price and avail. and possible pick up the next morning. How about Internet ordering and jobsite drop off? This is just stuff I fantasize about because I have to wait at least 2 weeks to order anything above our petty cash amount and at least 6 months for anything involving purchasing. But I think it would be slick if a contractor could take a pic with his phone and attach it to an email with, "I need this in stainless with a lip. What do ya got?" Maximum interaction with minimum interruption. I would think there might be a market for that.
Joe

#71233 10/24/06 09:41 PM
L
I'll second what Tom said, I'll go out of my way to go to the "to the trade only" supply house. I'd advertise it to the contractors, "We sell to the trade only, we don't support unlicensed handymen"

Steve, I spent over 5k last week in ONE supply house and theres 8 of us that are service in the company I work for and 80 guys total. Do the math, 3k loss from a handyman or HO is nothing compared to the business I can take elsewhere.

If selling to HO's (which I really have no problem with) take EC's ahead of them if the HO's have a bunch of questions.

#71234 10/24/06 10:45 PM
G
I think Joe may be on to something. The 21st century supply house will be able to do business over a Blackerry type device.

In real life we could order parts with our RF connected Motorola PTs (Blackberry's granddaddy) in 1987 so this is far from a new concept.

Greg Fretwell
#71235 10/24/06 11:06 PM
B
Most important to me, get us in and get us out quick. Nothing worse than waiting around for 45 minutes when there is a full days work waiting.

#71236 10/24/06 11:29 PM
J
JBD Offline
If so many contractors want these "services" how come so many are not willing to pay for them?

I have seen a contractor leave a counter and drive 2 miles to a box store because the supplier wouldn't lower the price 10 cents on 1 (yes 1) single pole switch.

Remember "you don't get what you don't pay for".

#71237 10/25/06 12:42 AM
R
Well, before I started my apprenticeship I used to work at a supply house so I have seen both sides of things A few things I like or dislike are

You MUST have counter staff that have some knowledge on the products and how they are installed. EG I have gone into the suppliers looking for a mercury vapour lamp but was repeadedly told " metal halide is the same thing because it says this lamp contains mercury". I walked away.
Flip side, a good counter person will try to make sure you have everything you need. Doing a new service perhaps? If I saw you did not order "part X" I would ask and make sure you had "part X". Many times I was thanked with " Oh ya I need that thanks for reminding me...

Don't make me wait.. There is nothing I hate more than waiting in line, ESPECIALLY when I see one or 2 counter people puttering around and stocking stuff while the line is like 6 deep OR trying to help " joe off the street" wire up a pigtail.
Flip side , when I was behind the counter, we did our best to help everyone, and would help out any CONTRACTOR with whatever they wanted to know but when " joe off the street" came in looking for info, I would tell him to call an electrician. Also, one of the reasons I quit is because they had me working the counter, doing orders, answering the phone etc while the boss son
( other staff) disappeared each afternoon to run personal errands instead of stocking shelves or taking orders, and got away with it every time!

Keep lots of stock especially of the "common" items. Nothing I hate more than is to go to the supplier for something like a box of standard white duplex receptacles and find out they are out of stock, OR go in and ask for something "not so common" like a dryer or stove cord and find out they can order it and have it in a week.
Flip side, I HATED telling customers that "Oh we are out of part X". Doesn't look good on the supply house, and eventually word gets around NOT to go to your supply house because you do not have any stock.

We also had free delivery, but within reason. orders for " good" contractors, (Good as in large orders regularily, and payment on time) We would have it there when they wanted, wherever they wanted. Regardless of how big or small the order was.. For others it would be delivered " morning or afternoon" and would have to be a reasonable order.
( one 1/2" pvc LB delivered across the city was not reasonable) [Linked Image]

A.D

#71238 10/25/06 01:45 AM
S
"I'll second what Tom said, I'll go out of my way to go to the "to the trade only" supply house. I'd advertise it to the contractors, "We sell to the trade only, we don't support unlicensed handymen" "

My supplier has a special rate for those who are not licensed....it's called list price.

Definitely have lots of catalogs on hand with the products you handle.

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
#71239 10/25/06 08:35 AM
W
What I plan on having/offering is;

Have a large sign at the counter reading; BY LAW WE CAN NOT GIVE OUT ANY ELECTRICAL INFORMATION. THIS CAN ONLY BE DONE BY A LICENSED ELECTRICAL CONTRACTOR.
Keep some electrical contractor’s cards on hand to hand out to the guy crying because I won’t design and tell him how to install the electrical for his new pool.

Open at 7am and close at 8pm.
Every supply house I have worked in locked its front door like Fort Knox at 5pm. After 5pm I see all the electrical contractors at the big box store.

Closed on Saturday.
Trust me, nothing brings out Joe and Jane homeowner like being opened on a Saturday!

Have an emergency number to call your order in and to pick up.
With-in reason of course. That way guys who need to do that service change on a Saturday can call knowing they have access to the supply house.

Free delivery within reason.
Even if it means meeting you after work to drop off your order.

Having a lock box outside with a combination lock.
If a contractor calls his order in, you can pick it up any time after hours.

Have a web based ordering/stock system.
If you need to check pricing for a quote or to place an order, you will have access to our complete stock.

[This message has been edited by Winlectric (edited 10-25-2006).]

#71240 10/25/06 09:58 AM
M
I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade...

I am not a contractor, but an architect. I am an advanced DIY'er... I just finished building by own house. I was an electrical systems engineer for many years before going to the dark side... ;-)

I talked for a few minutes with the accounts manager or owner of the supply houses I dealt with and now have open accounts at the electrical, fasteners, HVAC, plumbing, and lumber houses. I'm afraid there is no black & white for DIY/Contractor, but a thin grey line and I really appreciated being treated like a contractor, and I tried as much as possible to treat them like I was a contractor. In return I spent $10-75K at each of the houses. I'd ask that you be open to select owner/builders out there. And I appreciate the houses that are open Sat mornings. (Two guys restock shelves on sat & close at noon)

I hope you can do well on copper prices... All of the sparkies in my area seem to get 95% of their copper at big orange because the smaller guys can't touch the prices... I always run into them at 6pm on weekdays there...

Best of luck!!

On a seperate note I think all architects & engineers should be required to spend a few years in the field before getting their license...

[This message has been edited by Mike Wescoatt (edited 10-25-2006).]

[This message has been edited by Mike Wescoatt (edited 10-25-2006).]

Mike Wescoatt
#71241 10/25/06 10:35 AM
Cat Servant
We are electricians- not warehousemen. We need YOU to stock everything under the sun for us. We need the supply house to stock ALL of a product- too many times a house will stock, say, the fixture...but not the bulb it needs.

Let us in the warehouse. We can't buy it if we don't know you have it. Indeed, often the counter staff doesn't know what's back there.

While we're in the warehouse.... have lots of GOOD lighting. There is nothing worse that getting the wrong parts to the job; I have to wonder if the lighting has something to do with the error rate, when I see a warehouse that has the minimal number of (horror!) HPS fixtures.

I see way too much hanky-panky with prices. It makes no sense to carry several brands of exit lights, yet throw several hurdles in the way of my knowing the cost. The worst situation is where I buy one today for $50.... and next week get charged $130!

Which brings up the issue of confidence. We ought to be partners- not enemies. Yet, too often, I see parts house personnel trying to 'work an angle' to the benefit if the house.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard