ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#71096 10/22/06 01:59 AM
R
Rewired Offline OP
Well its happened again this past Friday! Someone did not just try to break into the Boss' van, they broke in, got it started and took off with it and its contents all in less than 2 minutes! The boss was dropping off some materials and was in the building for no more than 2 minutes TOPS when someone seized the chance to grab the van... No word on if its been found yet or whats going on, but this is just a word of warning that locks won't always stop the determined criminal!

A.D

#71097 10/22/06 03:43 AM
E
e57 Offline
Thats truely a nightmare - not kidding, it is one that woke me last night. It's a paranoia that I have come to accept. 2 minutes is really quick, so this guy must have some serious specialized practice at it model specific. Thats a door lock or window, then an ignition. It can be done, but they would need to be really good. Are they sure it was not towed? An unreputable tow truck driver is one that could move something that quick. Pull up, lift, pull around the corner and then strap it. From what I understand it is more and more common these days.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#71098 10/22/06 10:37 AM
S
what year/brand of vehicle is it? does it have the vinyl lettering on it? Was it loaded with copper?

Been hearing alot of stories of hvac, plumbers, and elec. vans getting ripped off for the copper inside.

Probably won't be long to recover the vehicle, esp if it has identifying lettering on it.

[This message has been edited by Sandro (edited 10-22-2006).]

#71099 10/22/06 11:08 AM
R
Rewired Offline OP
Well an update, Apparently they found the van in the north end of the city not far from where it went missing. The details on if anything is gone out of it I do not know or how it did get stolen..
As for the make and model, it is something like a '97- 98 Chev Savanna, BRIGHT red with vinyl lettering on it. Sticks out like a sore thumb really. Not too sure but I think it might of had a few coils of copper in it and some other tools inside.

A.D

#71100 10/22/06 08:50 PM
B
Work truck theft is so common here I always use a Club, even if I am just stopping off for a soda. They could still get it, but it would slow them down and hopefully make them look elsewhere.

It doesn't take them more than a minute or 2 to break the window, open the door, pop the ignition switch out with a slide hammer, stick a screwdriver in the hole and start it up.

#71101 10/30/06 11:51 AM
D
Or as mentioned a tow truck.

Too bad it's not legal to "electrify" the vehicle to where if a thief touches it he gets the crap shocked out of him...

It would be controlled via a wireless remote control so you could disable it so you the owner could open the door and get in...

#71102 10/30/06 01:17 PM
G
Back in the olden days they used to sell tear gas bombs that would go off when a thief broke into a vehicle. I suppose one going off when the owner was driving pretty much put an end to that.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard