ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Does anyone use the "euro" style barrier strip?
I bought some TB-35s from Allelectronics.com and they seem to make a very clean installation
They are U/L listed for 14-10 copper

Greg Fretwell
From an "out of town" perspective,
Think about this.
Some years back I was involved in turning a Bank into a Chinese restaurant.
The building itself was solid concrete, with the walls measuring 3ft thick and the floor between the upper and lower levels measuring 2ft thick.
2 Months of solid work anyway.
Anyhow, the building owner changed her mind and wanted all the lighting controlled from downstairs, about 2 days before we were due to finish the job.
I seemed to remember seeing an old un-used fuse box on the upper floor next to the bathrooms.
That's what an Apprentice and I did for the next 12 hours, was pull wires into that box.
I ripped the innards out of the box and made up a 40 Way connector block.
I sealed it with a special screw that very few people have access to.
And put a voltage warning sign on the front, as there was 400V in that box.
I even bought the apprentice a beer that night, he really worked outside of his skin that day!.

S
sprynda Offline OP
Thanks for the replys. these really helped. Would the derating be such an issue due to the fact that all the wires were in the old panel anyway or is it because i am now feeding back out. I have 9 12/2's 4 14/2's one range, one dryer, and one hot water heater. i was going to use a seperate j box for the range anyway.
thnanks again for the input
sam

E
e57 Offline
9X2+4X2=26 So without having to change wire size on the 12's and 14's would have to be 9 or less in the conduits would be at the very least 3 conduits for those. And either one large conduit (sized for the conductors) or a few for the rest. So, sometimes it may not pay to get back into a wall to get several conduits in.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
J
JJM Offline
I'm surprised no one brought this up yet, so I'll be the one to rain on the parade: listing.

Once that breaker panel is gutted out, its listing goes out the window with its guts. Also, would a home-made galvanized cover meet listing requirements?

Hope I'm not opening a can worms.

Frankly, sparkys should careers in law (and the pay would be better). After, look at all the time we spend interpreting the code, its reasons for adoption, code history... similar to how lawyers interpret laws - minus the sleaze factor (had to get a lawyer joke in there).

In any event, I still like the gutter idea, and you can use multiple gutters mounted adjacent to each other (where it would look almost seamless) to avoid derating. And gutters would be listed too.

Joe

G
Things don't have to be listed, they just have to be approved. Listing only helps the AHJ make that approval decision. I doubt any AHJ would not approve the cabinet if it was still in servicable condition. I think I would rather see a galvanized site built cover than the door screwed shut on the original.

Greg Fretwell
E
e57 Offline
With metal cabinets there isn't any note of it needing to be listed/approved, or the cover either. Just that it essentially be painted or galvanized, and at least so thick...

312.10 Material.
Cabinets, cutout boxes, and meter socket enclosures shall comply with 312.10(A) through (C).
(A) Metal Cabinets and Cutout Boxes. Metal enclosures within the scope of this article shall be protected both inside and outside against corrosion.
FPN:For information on protection against corrosion, see 300.6.
(B) Strength. The design and construction of enclosures within the scope of this article shall be such as to secure ample strength and rigidity. If constructed of sheet steel, the metal thickness shall not be less than 1.35 mm (0.053 in.) uncoated.

I know a company here that will make, if you like any box, gutter or cabinet you like. Even rebuild tranformer cases, and sent the windings out to be rewound. Myers sheet metal - formerly part of Myers electrical products but spun off eons ago. Now just a small shop downtown.... I occassionaly get them to make me stuff.

Anyway, what I have seen before, and wish they weren't so hard to special order, is divided gutters that constitute two wireways....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard