ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
I was called out to change all the breakers in a 100A residental panel. The panel wasn't marked in any way to ID it. The existing breakers were a mish-mash of various old breaker types. As best I could tell I thought it may be a murry type?? The inspector came out (young guy) and said I had to prove those were the right type of breakers for the panel and to "find it" on the internet. Sheesh@!!

Here are a few pics: http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=272496941&context=set-72157594301299815&size=l
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=272496829&context=set-72157594301299815&size=l
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=272496725&context=set-72157594301299815&size=l

Any help identifying this would be a big help!

Thanks,
Byron

L
Id tell the home owners what the inspector said and then tell them I have no way of "proving" what the panel is so you'll need a new panel. Let them deal with the inspector, I bet he'll change his tune.

B
Sounds good but the house is vacant and under foreclosure as best I can tell.

Byron

C
Is there a jumper missing between the left and right Neutral/Ground bars? (3rd photo)

Is the panel even rated 3R?

Is the 100A CB rated as a "Main" (where's the screw)?

I would advise whomever called you out there, that the panel is not of any known variety ...and can't be "proved" ...I would recommend changing it out.

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
A
The reason so many mfgs make that type of breakers is to have their product fit the maximum number of panels. How can an inspector require proof? either they fit or they don't. Generic panels accept any breaker that will fit. It could be ite/siemens, milbank, midwest, CH, murray. The style of neutral liiks siemens or challenger to me. Perhaps inside the meter socket will be a mfg id...Ask your inspector what constitutes proof and ask who his boss is. Sounds like the peckerwood has a tiny bit of power and wants to have you do some kinda dance for him.

B
Thanks for the comments!

Celtic, since when are all residential panels required to have screws on the main? I know all the new panels I've installed are that way but Zinsco, old GE and others do not have that screw.

Thanks!

Cat Servant
Looks like a perfectly acceptable older model Siemans / ITE "All In One" load center.

It IS rated Nema 3R.

The 100 amp breaker is listed as the service disconnecting means.

The UL web site has a list of interchangeable breakers. Offhand, I don't see any problems.

It does appear tjat there are suitable sized wires from the meter pan to each ground / neutral bar.

There ought to be a 'dead front' cover for it, though.

N
Its a 1960s vintage ITE panel, pre CTL type panel (bus stabs are not notched).

Please note, Requirement for a hold down on a back fed main did not show up until the 1990 NEC 384-16 (f).

Added note.

[This message has been edited by NORCAL (edited 10-17-2006).]

M
The giveaway is the hook where the breakers hook under, on the wire terminal end of the breakers. That looks like Seimans to me too. (hate that style hook).

Link Copied to Clipboard