ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#70932 10/16/06 10:10 PM
V
VAElec Offline OP
This is for fun. How would you make a control system that causes the bathroom lights to flicker when when someone flushes the toilet?

I am thinking flow switch on the cold water supply to the tank piloting NO contacts on a relay. This relay feeds line voltage to a transformer (isolation type but tapped low) that causes an under voltage to the ballast at the fixture. (This of course assumes a fluorescent fixture). The under-driven ballast should now go in and out due to low voltage (think line flicker) if I am not mistaken. Even better if you have a magnetic and not electronic ballast. Flow switch opens again and lighting is normal.

Also, this is assuming that you love to change ballasts at your Moms house for a good laugh. Ideas? How to do it with incandescent fixtures?

Pete
T
Is it possible to have the lights dim in a varying manner according to the sound levels in the room?

Dave

J
I would probably use a commercially available wireless 3-way switch. I would tap into the switch of the battery powered stick-on with a sound trigger ckt. This would be hidden behind the tank.
Joe

R
Perhaps a set of wireless burglar alarm "contacts" in the tank, fastened in such a manner that hitting the flush will " trigger the wireless contact" and in return will send a signal to its receiver elsewhere, and from there control your light flicker circuit. Heck for laughs it can even momentarily sound a big 'ol bell! Wouldn't that be " alarming" [Linked Image]
Figure that may be easier than plumbing in a flow switch, and best off, it will come out as easy as it went in when the joke is over.

A.D

E
maybe a low-voltage sound or liquid level detector circuit that could turn on or drive an amp that feeds into some white LEDs to supplement the existing lighting rather than interface with the AC.

I'm thinking a op amp as a level detector to go to full output, that would in turn activate a 555 timer circuit configured as an oscillator to drive the LEDs. I haven't done elctronics for fun in a long time - just safety these days. There's a lot of time between now and April 1st...

My son had a 'joke thing' fitted inside the toilet roll holder. When you pulled a sheet of paper, it emitted a loud & disgusting noise, at about 3.4 on the Richter Scale.
Ideal for embarassing unwanted visitors.
His wife put it in the trash.

Wood work but can't!
J
The reason I mentioned the wireless 3-way is because the switch in the wall switching AC, will be a UL listed switch. I love circuit design as much or more as the next guy but hate L words like lawyer and liability.
Joe

W
You could use a hvac drain pan float switch mounted in the tank to initiate the flicker machine that you are engineering.

G
put a variable resistance transducer on the water line.

Greg Fretwell
W
got a lot of iron in the water supply?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard