ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
I could always send y'all a box of 30A single-pole British breakers....... [Linked Image]

Just a thought: If you were going to parallel two 15A breakers, NEC notwithstanding, why not use a handle tie?

(I say "if" because even without code issues I don't much like the idea.....)

G
It was not as if you coudn,t buy a 30 amp it
was a maitenance issue where one wasn,t readily available. I would use the British breakers but don,t you run on some old Victorian voltage and frequency?

S
The way most panels are designed, you wouldn't be able to use a 2-pole 30A breaker, as each pole would be on a different phase. (or phase shift if it was 240/120 1-phase). Now, a yoked double 1/2" breaker MIGHT be able to fit on a single phase, but I've only ever seen them designed such that it's impossible to do that.

Back to the paralleling transformers thing- I know I've seen paralleled transformers on separate breakers, but only in regards to UPS and generator power, and only ever in redundant configuration- EG, the two transformers were there in case of one failure, and they're never required to run parallel. Although when hooked up through a UPS, they *do* run in parallel, and from different breakers, plus typically an additional bypass run that is JUST the transformer. When switching to maint bypass when the UPS has failed into static bypass mode, there is a short period of time when two or more transformers are in parallel. But I suppose that's a completely different animal once you throw a UPS into the picture...

[This message has been edited by SteveFehr (edited 10-13-2006).]

W
Oh, maybe use a 3 phase 15A breaker in a 2 phase panel. The two outer breakers would be on the same phase. But that's likey not code. besides, you'd waste less panel space if you just used a 240V 2 space 30A breaker and left the extra section unconnected. Assuming there are no single 30A breakers.

R
I would do the same like wa2ise. Use a 3Ø braker, these are essentially 3 single phase brakers with a bar across the handles.

Use only 2 x 15 Amps segments of it and it should work OK.

It will avoid the danger someone switching it off while the other braker is still on.

Of course label the braker accordingly too.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard