ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
There is no NEC requirement that panels be listed.

They do have to be approved by the AHJ.

I doubt many AHJs will approve this panel simply for the fact of the 32 amp breakers can not serve the type of receptacles / equipment that the audiofool wants connected to it.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
S
It is likely that one can obtain replacement breakers in 16 amp or perhaps 20 amp size. That just might make this thing useable in the U.S.

It looks like those bus bars are around 3/4" or 1" thick???

N
Apparently, the manufacturer only supplies 32A breakers for this panel.

Ordinary Siemens control panel breakers (of a more usable ampacity) would obviously fit, but without the gold plating and other magic mojo, they would be a hard sell to the crowd that would buy this kind of junk in the first place.

I
but without the gold plating and other magic mojo, they would be a hard sell

No problem, I have a magic mojo installation tool that will mojo the heck out of the new breakers.

The system will sound so good that they will be able to hear the color of the performers underwear.

I only lease my 'mojotivity' technology to a hand picked, select customer base. (Anyone who has the bucks)

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 10-11-2006).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
NJwirenuts' second post has a link that shows brown carpet also enhances the "listening experience".

I honestly cannot see how any of this gear can make the audio better that can't be a chieved with good installation practices, quality fittings & possibly some sheilding from noise sources such as motors.

N
As a commercial sound technician, I am ashamed at what some people think will make a sound system sound better. This is nuts. The owner can feel whatever he wants, but, the bottom line is that the audio going through the system is not going to be this good. Think about this. Recording studios don't use monster cables, when you need several thousand patch cords you buy a few rolls of wire and some connectors and set some people to soldering. When it comes to home theater stuff, as long as you have good components, decent wiring, and proper speaker positioning, just about anything will sound good. My system at home runs off of regurlar, 12 AWG stranded wire and 2 - 20 amp Square D Qo breakers. It wasn't terribly expensive, and it sounds amazing. I think that sometimes you can sell anything to anyone.

Z
Umm, I have an AA in sound engineering, but I haven't heard the "low resistance on your AC supply" one before.

You might tell him he's better off with low NOISE on his AC. Smoother harmonics, less voltage fluctuation, etc, can have a bearing, but power supplies and conditioners that are BUILT IN to most quality audio equipment these days are very well built. BTW, that is what you usually are paying for when you buy top-end equipment - cleaner circuitry and a more advanced POWER SUPPLY for filtering and smoothing.

Avoid ballasted lighting like the plague.

Iso Grounds dont hurt on really sensitive equipment, but I have yet to "hear" a difference.

Everybody has a little theory...If he insists, I guess you should give him what he wants.

A
I think this is an opportunity for you to sell him the European wall recep's that will go with the increased ampacity OCPD's and then change all his plugs on the audio equipment and recomend a larger power stabilizer device which you could mark up - all this goes for $$$ you know plus your mark-up. Plus he needs a second service for all this stuff Plus all the additional hours and all the stuff would have to be imported etc etc I see a very lucrative job for you - anyone who spends 6k on a resi panel well ...... a fool and his money!!

E
I love the description they give on the United Home Audio web site: WAKE UP AND SMELL THE POWER!!

If they really want to spend the bucks, maybe they should go see if they can buy some new hearing.
The human ear is only so sensitive. To claim you can hear some of these......these "improvements" sounds like the story of the Emperors New Clothes to me.
None of them want to admit they can't hear the difference, indeed many that I've seen can't carry a tune in a very large bucket, and wouldn't notice a sour note if it was on their tongue.
What a pitiful lot. Too bad

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard