ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 381 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
1. I see a CE mark but no UL. It's unlikely that they are approved for use in the U.S.

2. 32 amps is going to be a problem. The AHJ isn't going to go for 32 amp breakers protecting 20 amp receptacles. And you're probably going to need 8 gauge wire, because #10 is explicitly limited to 30 amps.

3. Your customer is an idiot.

4. Make sure that your customer knows that audiophile grade equipment requires audiophile grade installation, which goes for $500/hr.

A
Let's see here, you have to use emt, steel fittings, MTW wire, solder all lugs,line your clamps with cushioning foam, use only fed. spec grade hospital receptacles, we already know what kind of recep. covers to use, pull a braided ground wire, #2 outha do ok, brass screws everywhere, audio rated gloves, spray your bender with teflon before each bend, etc., etc...$ 500 per hour seems like a pretty good deal...

N
The manufacturer of this monstrosity is based in Hong Kong:
http://www.isocleanpower.com/

Here's a place selling them for just under 4 grand:
http://www.unitedhomeproducts.com/id171.htm

I love the recommendations about using "audiophile grade" cable to the receptacles (what article in the NEC covers this stuff?), or getting the utility to provide a separate service to the panel...

[This message has been edited by NJwirenut (edited 10-10-2006).]

B
You all have been very helpful. The fact it isn't UL approved and it has 32Amp breakers translates into me not touching it. What is sad is he can't return this unit!

Many thanks,
Byron

R
I will say it is something to look at, even if your customer got ripped off for almost 4 grand.. Gold plating and " polished" siemens breakers.. Hmmm, hang it on the wall and build a nice picture frame to fit, It is truely a work of art and costs only a fraction of a true masterpiece! [Linked Image]

A.D

E
e57 Offline
Not sure if panel need to be listed, but I wouldn't install it either. And I would really have a hard time holding back the laughter....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Maybe it would improve his audio experience if he put it on a shelf or something in his listening room. That way he still can show it off to his fellow audiophools, and he will still have the peace of mind that comes with knowing he's spent a bunch of $ on something that's completely useless,
Regardless, don't hook it up to any electricity.

W
It does not look like the panel has a dead front. Not approved for use in the US. I also agree any idiot that buys this stuff is really nuts.

Cat Servant
Apart from the gold plating on the fasteners, this does not appear much different from almost any Euro (IEC) control panel.

Indeed, it is fairly common for Euro enclosures to be made of clear plastic, with but a small hatch to access the toggles.

Not UL? Not always an issue. UL is better seen as a 'guide' than a 'god.' That said, if you are not comfortable with a piece of equipment, are not certain you understand how it operates, what you need to do, there is no shame in backing off.

I haven't declined a job since.... yesterday.

I would reccomend getting comfortable with this stuff, though. Open up a commercila door opener, a hot tub, or a pre-fab motor control center, and you will very likely be looking at some familiar stuff.

Oh- and as for the gold... Did you know the older style TV tuners had such plated contacts? Gold is a great conductor, and is quite corrosion resistant. While doing so would bring any UL listing into question, I think this is one "modification" I could live with.

L
With respect to the missing deadfront, I would guess that the 4 standoffs are probably for mounting a Lexan or equivalent cover once installation is finished.

I wonder how thick the buss that jumpers all of the breakers together is?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard