ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
Moving this thread over from the Audiophile Receptacle Covers one, because it deserves its own topic; those situations where ignorance, rather than gullibility, is the issue.

We have a lot of huge chicken houses in this area, operated by many folks who aren't really swift in the electrical distribution dep't., leading to many dispariging comments within the trade about "chicken house electricians"
So this farmer walks into the supply house years ago, inquires about the price of a single pole 20 amp breaker for his chicken house. Seems that the original one had burnt up. When given the price he then asked "how much is a 30?" and the same price was given. This went on for a while until the gentleman figured out that he could buy a 50/1 breaker for the same price as a single pole 20, so he got bold and bought a whole carton of the buggers, saying he had gotten much more amps for his dollar... My own experience indicates that #12 stranded will carry about 55 amps in free air, but the TW insulation got pretty soft; but as romex, it would melt., guess you call people like the farmer Job Security.

J
No way

A 30/1 or 50/1 breaker would be a very odd ball breaker. You will not find them for the same price as a 20/1.

P
a 30/1 breaker is pretty common, at least with Murray (I forget about the other brands.) I put two singles in for two separate sub panels in the attic (so each room has its own panel).

A
Jwhite:
No. 1. 30/1 is common to rv outlets, No. 2 the event occurred more than 10 years ago, No.3. Square D made up to a 70/1 at the time, don't know about now. Sq. D QO breakers from 15/2 through 60/2 are the same price, that has been consistent for years, why would single pole breakers be any different?

[This message has been edited by Almost Fried (edited 10-08-2006).]

Cat Servant
Almost, I wouldn\t get to excited. I think you gave a very good description of a certain mindset. "More amps for my money" !!!! Yet, I think we've all met folks who have such a unique approach to electric work. [Linked Image]

W
A friend of mine just got called by a new homeowner who roughed-in his own place - with 10-2 UF - yes, no kidding - This guy heard that 12 is better than 14 gauge, so he went one better and used 10 - Now comes the problem on trim out - the guy called my contractor friend because he can't get any devices to fit - lol - How would you like to fit a GFI in a single gang with 10 gauge UF - yikes

I had a Customer who had heard that SO cord was more resistant to damage than NM so he finished his basement with it.

Bill

Bill
A
Wis-sparky
I didn't have to work on it, but an acquaintance wired his 4 room cabin with 10-2 NM and used those old bevel back boxes. I told him not to call me if he ever had any problems...I can't imagine how difficult UF would be in those conditions.

The Phone Company used to come from the pole to your house with a rubber covered 2 wire, #18 copper plated steel cable called "C wire". I knew of an old timer who wired his house with that. Try running a space heater on that kind of wiring.

[This message has been edited by Almost Fried (edited 10-08-2006).]

B
"Electricity takes the path of least resistance".

I don't know who said this or if it was mangled from the original statement, but many people seem to think that this means that electricity ONLY takes the path of least resistance.

If that were true, parallel circuits wouldn't work [Linked Image]

W
I bought a 50A Sq D single pole QO a while back and it was pretty expensive compared to a 15 or 20

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard