ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 276 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#7029 01/19/02 09:55 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
We are one of the first trades in, to a vacant lot, for temp service.
As such we hear all grandious plans, the carrot is dangeled, handshakes exchange , prospects are solicited, etc.

The Job progresses
cue Good,Bad & Ugly theme....

We are one of the last trades out, the plans have 'evolved', some may be held in contempt, the well's run dry.....

For many of us the latter is repetitive, the signs and symptoms of overall job success or failure is apparent to various degree.
I'm interested in what has held the ear/eye of others in said respect here.

#7030 01/20/02 09:31 AM
I've attended many pre-job meetings that the GC stated "Requests for Information will have a response within a day". My usual action was to send as many RFI's as I could immediately to clear up discrepancies (better proactive than reactive) before they became problems. They've rarely been answered within a week; some have taken months.

There have been a few occasions where I've submitted alternate lighting/switchgear packages, only to be told "No substitutions, go strictly by the specs". The same people have asked me to value engineer the job halfway through, probably after some "bean counter" actually counted up the "beans".
You can always tell a job's gonna be a Turkey when it sounds like they've got delusions of grandeur

#7031 01/20/02 09:59 AM
G
Electure,
working for an engineering firm, I can tell you my biggest problem with GC's is usually their response to RFI's. 'course, then at least I have an NCN (Non-compliance Notice) [Linked Image]

I thought the "6 phases of a project" were a list, then someone informed me it was supposed to be funny, heck I judge the completion of a project by them, with darned few exceptions. If you haven't heard them, you'll have to wait 'til Tuesday cause it's hanging over my desk, but the last two are:

5) Search for the guilty, punishment of the innocent.

6) Praise and honors for the non-participants.
Like I said, I thought someone had come up with a real good barometer of job progress attitudes.

Link Copied to Clipboard