ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#7021 01/18/02 02:40 PM
G
At my refinery we are about to start a turnaround.For those of you who don,t know what that is,it's best described as a 24 hour a day shut dowm of the plant to facilitate replacement of major parts by contractors.These things come real close to being a Woodstock style carnival from hell.
Question that arose dealt with our temporary wiring for the tents,tool trailer,etc.We are useing CLX type armoured cable.I proclain that this should be used with it's specified connectors on both ends,whereby effectively bonding the armour which is isolated from the grounding conductor otherwise.The fellows installing seem to think because there is an isolated grounding conductor there is no problem if the armour is not bonded.They are also using 2"rigid pipe to protect SO cord without bonding these conduits.Am I a worry wart or could this lead to a future accident?
w

E
You are absolutely RIGHT George!

S
I 2nd Elzappr..

S
The metal armor is just like any other metalic raceway and must be bonded. Suggest they ask an OSHA inspector his opinion.......
Bet they won't. Also, I used to work for one of the BIG oil companies, and they were big on safety and regulation compliance. Get their safety people involved, I bet things change REAL quick.
Don

T
I would recommend they look at article 250-2(b) in the 1999 NECĀ® or 250.4 (2)&(3) in the 2002 NECĀ®.

Link Copied to Clipboard