ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#70106 09/29/06 08:55 PM
L
Hello everyone, I am a 28 year old electrician that has been working in the trade since 97'. Recently for the past 2 years I have been working with TVA in an orginization that maintains fire detection systems.

Unfortunately, TVA has decided to dissolve the group. During the 2 years I have been with TVA, I feel that I have lost touch with the the industry. In the mean time, I would like to do all that I can to re-learn all that I have forgot, and whatever else that has changed since I lost touch.

If anyone has any advice for me on how I can get with the times. I would greatly appreciate it. I just want to be a good electrician again, and be able to be productive if , and when I get the chance to work again. Thank you all for taking the time to read my post.

Sincerely,
Luke

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

#70107 09/29/06 09:43 PM
J
You're doing it. I can't think of a better place to get in touch with the industry at the "boots on the ground" "in the trenches" level than here. This site has contributed greatly to my career.

#70108 09/30/06 01:56 PM
S
Without a doubt, JPS. I've learned things here I never would've known if it weren't for the people who make up the base of this site. These people really need to be applauded for their efforts - just for contributing. If anything, this website has helped me become more of a professional than anything else. If people judge me by the company that I keep, than people will be judging me well.

Stick with the trade, Luke, there'll always be the need for konowledgable electricians. It's better to have a strong mind than a strong back wich is the complete opposite from when I began this trade 16 years ago.

Good luck.

#70109 09/30/06 02:32 PM
Cat Servant
As great as this site is, there are a few things you need some formal "learnin' " for, before you can benefit from any discussions.

Your local community likely has some courses in control circuits, and PLC's. I strongly reccomend them.

#70110 09/30/06 03:56 PM
It's better to have a strong mind than a strong back
That's quite true, 77. [Linked Image]

Work smarter, not harder.

I would agree with John (reno) about PLC's and like controls, there are advances being made in these all the time (like a lot of things), keeping up with all the new things in this trade and changes to legislation, etc makes you more able to make better decisions as to how to do a given job.

I'd say stick with it too, Luke, the electrical trade is a very good trade to work in, I'm glad I'm involved with it.

{Message edited to add missing "it"}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 10-02-2006).]

#70111 09/30/06 10:24 PM
L
I would like to say thanks to you all for the replies. I feel that this network of knowledgeable electricans and such is a true blessing for me. I am glad to be apart! I have also decided to order a few good books from Tom Henry's website. Looks like I have until the first of the year 'till we get our pinkslips, until then I am going to be cramming!

Luke Clarke

#70112 10/01/06 10:11 AM
P
Being out of the 'industry' for 2 years is not something I'd spend any energy worrying about. I've been in the indusry since the mid 70's. Some of the rules have changed but the basics remain the same.
Always look ahead with a goal in mind. Without a goal, you'll wander though your career.
Earn an associate degree from a local junoir college by taking evening classes and working during the day. I did it that way (of course we spent the first couple of weeks in math on slide-rule techniques... The pre-calculator era really sucked!)
You can take a curriculum of pre-engineering or controls engineering, or something along that line. You'll be surprised what you can pick up from classes like those.
Whatever you do, keep it moving forward, never sit and dwell on could-havs, or should-havs.
I suggest you read 'Who Moved My Cheese', it will change your life.

#70113 10/01/06 09:57 PM
L
Funny you mentioned that "PE", I had to watch that movie when I hired in with TVA. At the time, I didn't give it much thought, until now.

I would like to enroll in some continuing ed', that just depends on wether or not I am fortunate enough to go back to work close to where I live. Traveling....may be something that I have to deal with. [Linked Image]

Luke Clarke

Link Copied to Clipboard