ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
hbiss Offline OP
I installed a bunch of Atlite battery backup LED exit signs at a local church about 2 years ago. Recently four have failed because the transformer overheated. I called the manufacturer (Atlite is part of Cooper) and the first thing they asked was did I purchase them from HD or Lowes. No I didn't so they transferred me to a rep. Maybe they know something that I have been asserting all along, what you get at HD or Lowes may not be the same as what you get from the supply house.

-Hal

S
I'd exploit this one. I too believe that the big box stores get inferior quality items. Stores with big buying power often pressure suppliers to lower costs which may mean cheapening some of the internals or sacrificing quality. Ever seen the quality of Home Depot cedar wood? Yeesh.

Call them again and say that you DID purchase from there, and see what they say.

With the quantities HD and Lowes must move all across north america, its possible that they want you to return to point of purchase.

[This message has been edited by Sandro (edited 09-29-2006).]

G
I bet it is more like, if you bought it at the BORG, take it back to the BORG. They assume some of the warranty problems.
In real life, if you have the receipt they would give you your money back if it had a bullet hole in it.

Greg Fretwell
E
HD, Lowes, Walmart...

Some of the best marketing companies in North America...

Generally the brand name products are the same as the supply houses... the manufacturers still have to meet the same UL and ULC or CSA standards, and I find it hard to believe that they would change the specs and affect the requirements of the standard to reduce prices for these marketing companies.

However, step into the Marketing Companies Private label brands... hmmm?

And on the topic of handling defective products, the marketing companies seem to have much easier return policies than most supply houses... Not that the supply houses don't take care of their customers, but it just seems a little easier at the big box marketing companies...

[This message has been edited by ExpressQuote (edited 09-29-2006).]

S
I have heard that in exchange for better pricing, the big box stores are to deal with warranty issues themselves. I don't know if this true.

steve

Steve
I
I find it hard to believe that they would change the specs and affect the requirements of the standard to reduce prices for these marketing companies.

You don't have to effect the 'listing' by making it cheaper.

A listing is not at all a determination of a quality level.

I have no trouble believing that a retailer with the amount of volume that the big box stores have could get the manufactures to provide a cheaper product.

Those retailers beat the snot out of their suppliers.

But back to the OP, I believe it had to do with the warranty part of this.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
A
A lesser known fact about UL listings: It has nothing to do with quality, suitability for its intended purpose, nor will it even work. The Listing only means that the mfg. paid a huge amount of money to a for profit entity, which then bounces huge lightning bolts off the product to see if it will catch fire easily. The listing specifically states that it only means that it is safe to install on the wall of your house, not that it even functions well. Consumers Laboratories they ain't.

G
When the big boxes get a product that is not the same as your supplier (or even the exact same one with a cheaper retail price) they will put a different model number on it.
That makes the bookkeeping easier and it gives them an out when the guy pays more at his supply house.
Your supply house will seldom be able to match the price of a big box on identical products. The big box has less overhead per unit and the big box offers a lower level of service.

Greg Fretwell
I
I agree Greg, this different model number game also allows a retailer to say things like.

"If you find 'it' for less anywhere in the galaxy we will give it to you for free"

You not going to find 'it' as it will have a different model number somewhere else.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
R
When the big boxes get a product that is not the same as your supplier (or even the exact same one with a cheaper retail price) they will put a different model number on it.
I am aware of consumer products where this is not the case. The two products carry the exact same model number information, but the product sold by the high volume store is not the same product. Steps were taken to make the product sold in the high volume store cheaper to manufacturer.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard